Public Affairs Regional Coordinator
Madison, Wisconsin /
Public Policy - Advocacy /
PLANNED PARENTHOOD OF WISCONSIN, INC.
MADISON , WI
PUBLIC AFFAIRS REGIONAL COORDINATOR
At Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin, Inc. (PPWI), we work to provide quality, affordable health care services, comprehensive education, and strong advocacy. We serve over 60,000 patients annually in 22 health centers statewide, making us the largest and most trusted reproductive health care provider in Wisconsin. Our goal is to help keep Wisconsin safe, healthy and strong!
This is an excellent opportunity for a Public Affairs Regional Coordinator (40hrs/wk) at our Madison Office and surrounding communities.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
This person will work to create a climate where reproductive and sexual health is protected and promoted and where advocacy and visibility are increased on the local, state and federal levels. This position is responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing the Public Affairs organizing and outreach plan in regional areas as assigned.
Must be committed to excellent customer service and the vision and values of PPWI. This individual must be committed to comprehensive, voluntary family planning programs and a woman's right to make personal decisions regarding health care, including abortion. They must possess the highest professional standards and initiative and have proven grassroots organizing skills.
This individual must possess the following skills and abilities: Flexible, enthusiastic and effective communication—orally and in writing, commitment to diversity, ability to work cooperatively and effectively with community partners, staff, grasstop supporters, and volunteers to accomplish program goals. Must have strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office programs. They must have the ability to think creatively and strategically, and work both independently and collaboratively in a deadline driven environment.
Must have an understanding of best practice organizing tactics; follow through on assigned projects; and be able to work as a member of a team. The position requires flexibility, and strong presentation and interpersonal skills. It frequently requires decision-making, independent judgment and/or action, creativity, problem analysis, and use of discretion.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
A High School Diploma or GED is required. Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred. Two years of related experience such as in community, grassroots, or issue campaign organizing; Must have demonstrated experience leading work teams, volunteer teams, and/or interns.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The position is predominantly sedentary requiring the ability to sit, bend, stand and walk. May require occasional stooping, reaching, stair-climbing. Requires repetitive motions of the hands and wrist related to writing and typing at an electronic keyboard. Rarely requires kneeling, pushing/pulling and repetitive motions of the feet.
Physical demands of the position necessitate hearing, talking, handling and grasping regularly. May require lifting up to 30 pounds. Specific vision conditions include close vision reading. Requires the ability to operate a computer, telephone, fax, copy machine and adding machine or calculator.
The position is generally performed in an office environment but involves frequent interruptions. The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations, however, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform said essential functions. Long hours, evening and/or weekend hours may be necessary. This position requires traveling statewide, therefore a valid driver’s license and auto insurance in accordance with agency liability standards is required. Must have reliable transportation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Organizing and Volunteer Management
- Implement organizing plan to increase number and diversity of activists in targeted communities across Wisconsin. Assist in the planning process.
- Utilize both best practices and new organizing, including digital organizing, tactics to engage supporters around policy and advocacy efforts.
- Supervise Public Affairs organizers located in assigned region
- Participate in hiring process – interviewing candidates and onboarding new staff
- Delegate and lead activities of organizers
- Provide training, coaching and feedback
- Manage volunteer and intern programs for internal and external activities
- Manage community and campus activist groups in targeted locations.
- Develop and maintain relationships with grasstops supporters, community organizations, stakeholders and local influential leaders to garner support for PPWI's legislative agenda and services.
- Facilitate grassroots communications to area elected officials.
- Organize awareness events in assigned areas.
- In partnership with other regional community outreach staff, develop and implement community outreach plan to ensure PPWI’s advocacy work is represented in the community.
- Make presentations on PPWI’s public policy issues and advocacy efforts to supporters and organizations.
- Represent PPWI’s advocacy interests on local coalitions or committees as assigned.
- Represent PPWI regionally and within Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) as assigned, such as, tabling events, as a PPWI representative in PPFA affinity groups, or advocacy coalitions.
- Delegate and oversee regional public affairs staff representation as deemed strategic
- Partner with Public Affairs media staff to develop earned and digital media strategies to enhance PPWI’s media presence in the region.
- Department Planning and Compliance
- Coordinate with Director of Community Relations to ensure regional outreach and plans support PPWI’s Community Centric goals.
- Maintain reporting and tracking mechanisms to articulate the qualitative and quantitative results of work.
- Update agency database with grassroots, grasstops, organizational, and business contacts.
- Ensure compliance with conditions of 501(c)(3) guidelines for approved activities.
- Protect the confidentiality of PPWI staff, patients, donors, board, volunteers, and all operation areas.
- Participate in the annual planning process and implement work plans.
- Learn and employ PPWI’s methods of electronic and data systems, including VAN and agency approved Customer Relationship Management software
- Oversee development of work plans integrated with the overall strategic plan and organizational mission.
- Monitor staff progress in achieving organizational goals.
- Support the professional growth of Public Affairs field staff, including providing support and feedback to achieve professional goals.
PPWI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.