Engineer in Residence
New York, NY /
Primary Labs /
Primary Venture Partners is looking to hire an Engineer-in-Residence to support our incubation efforts within Primary Labs. Primary is an early-stage venture capital firm with close to $1B AUM, investing in pre-seed and seed-stage startups based in New York City. The firm’s Incubation arm launched in 2019 to support the ideation, research and launch of new startups. Primary’s first three incubated companies will return its first fund many times over, and Primary is now primed for substantial growth in its Incubation efforts in 2023. Check out our blog post, “What Invention and Incubation have in Common” to learn more about Primary’s incubation philosophy.
When we incubate businesses at Primary, we go deep with analytical research, customer discovery, market diligence, and more. However, one capability we are missing is the ability to build new products quickly and test ideas from a technical perspective. The Engineer-in-Residence will help us do that, specifically by supporting OIRs researching the newest incubations that Primary will launch.
The engineer-in-residence is someone who is deeply technical, with prior software engineering experience at best-in-class engineering organizations. They want firsthand experience building new businesses within a VC, leading the technical diligence and early engineering and product work across a range of new companies in different sectors. This is an entrepreneurial role for an engineer looking to further develop a broader skill set; you may want to start your own company, join an early stage startup or go into investing, but it's essential that you're excited to roll up your sleeves coding while helping to diligence different ideas.
What You'll Do:
- Support Primary’s idea generation and vetting process from a technical lens
- Provide technical guidance to the incubation team on a range of topics including software architecture, system design, programming languages, and development frameworks
- Participate in technical due diligence for potential incubation ideas and share insights on their feasibility and scalability
- Collaborate with Operators in Residence on their technical needs and develop MVPs that align with their business objectives
- Conduct research on emerging technologies and provide recommendations on their potential application to our incubation program
- On any given week, spend 25-75% of the time in code; on any given month, focus on 1-3 ideas at a time
- Have the opportunity to double down with a specific business into the launch phase as a technical Co-Founder, or be a key for force for incubating around 6 businesses a year
- Self-starter: you have an entrepreneur’s intrinsic motivation, capable of independently running with business ideas with substantial ambiguity
- Deeply technical: you have extensive software engineering experience at best-in-class engineering organizations
- Network-builder: you’re comfortable developing relationships with industry leaders from the ground up
- Entrepreneurial: you are eager to engage in the venture and startup ecosystem and have your finger on the pulse when it comes to new deals and emerging business models
- Storyteller: you’re able to learn rapidly, develop a strong point of view, and communicate compelling narratives
- Commercially-minded: you are comfortable with financial models and concepts and can quickly assess the feasibility and scalability of a new venture idea
- 6+ years of engineering experience
$200,000 - $230,000 a year
Compensation is market-competitive with a yearly cash base of $200,000 - $230,000 and will include upside in our fund.
If interested, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you.