Jackson, Wyoming /
Technical Team /
Prime Movers Lab invests in breakthrough scientific startups founded by Prime Movers, the inventors who transform billions of lives. We invest $2mm-$5mm in seed-stage companies reinventing energy, transportation, infrastructure, manufacturing, human augmentation, and computing. The core of our differentiated value creation is our deep technical diligence to evaluate groundbreaking technologies. We need a Chief Engineer to coordinate and manage our rapidly growing technical diligence team of engineers spanning disciplines across nuclear, aerospace, mechanical, chemical and electrical engineering. As Chief Engineer, you would both personally execute rapid analysis of potential investments from an engineering perspective to determine technological value and mentor our scientific team in developing their skills as engineering diligence experts.
The right candidate will bring broad systems design and problem-solving skills developed in performing world-class prototyping and engineering. It is crucial in this role to feel comfortable exploring a diverse range of technologies including but not limited to materials science, nuclear engineering, aerospace, electrochemistry, mechanical engineering systems, semiconductors, artificial intelligence, and advanced computing at various depths. An exceptional Chief Engineer will relish the challenge of seamlessly balancing coordinating and mentoring our team of engineers, interviewing Prime Movers, reading patents, reviewing technical marketing white papers, seeking input from expert advisors, speaking to competitors, and synthesizing this research into cogent easy to comprehend technology evaluations.
We are looking for someone who has strong engineering capabilities combined with a unique range of people skills to utilize as one of the faces of Prime Movers Lab. Our mission and values-driven partnership needs a Chief Engineer who can keep up with a fast pace and wants to learn how to be the best partner possible. We will invest in ongoing training and personal development to support the right candidate who meets our needs.
- Coordinate our engineering team and mentor their technical development.
- Evaluate potential investments from a technical perspective.
- Interview Prime Movers and their technical teams to dive deep.
- Read patents, white-papers, and broad research about target technologies.
- Coordinate expert input and review of competition to form a holistic thesis.
- Write in-depth technological evaluations synthesizing research conclusions.
- Regularly travel to evaluate opportunities and support founders face to face.
- Perform public speeches at high profile events to build the Prime Movers Lab brand and reputation as the most founder-friendly venture capital firm.
- PhD from a top University in physics, chemistry, aerospace, mechanical or related engineering domain.
- Demonstrated ability to reason from first principles.
- Track record in inventing, designing, and building sophisticated systems.
- Flexible hours and availability with a startup attitude of intense dedication.
- Expertise in building engineering teams.
- Prior experience in a fast-paced startup.
- Past exposure to angel investing or venture capital.