Physicist / Mechanical Engineer
Jackson, Wyoming /
Technical Team /
Prime Movers Lab invests in breakthrough scientific startups founded by Prime Movers, the inventors who transform billions of lives. We invest $2mm-$5mm in seed-stage companies reinventing energy, transportation, infrastructure, manufacturing, human augmentation, and computing. The core of our differentiated value creation is our deep technical diligence to evaluate groundbreaking technologies. We are seeking a partner with deep expertise in physics and mechanical engineering to execute rapid analysis of potential investments from a physics, mechanical engineering, and systems perspective.
The right candidate will bring broad systems design and problem-solving skills developed in performing world-class physics and mechanical engineering research, prototyping, and technology development. It is crucial in this role to feel comfortable exploring a diverse range of technologies and applications including mechanical design, ground vehicle systems, power conversion equipment, advanced manufacturing, and robotics at various depths. An exceptional Mechanical Engineer will relish the challenge of seamlessly balancing interviewing Prime Movers, reading patents, reviewing technical marketing white papers, seeking input from expert advisors, speaking to competitors, and synthesizing this research into cogent easy to comprehend technology evaluations.
We are looking for someone who has strong research capabilities combined with a unique range of people skills to utilize as one of the faces of Prime Movers Lab. Our mission and values-driven partnership needs and Mechanical Engineer or Physicist who can keep up with a fast pace and wants to learn how to be the best partner possible. We will invest in ongoing training and personal development to support the right candidate who meets our needs.
- Evaluate potential investments from a technical perspective.
- Interview Prime Movers and their technical teams to dive deep.
- Read patents, white-papers, and broad research about target technologies.
- Coordinate expert input and review of competition to form a holistic thesis.
- Write in-depth technological evaluations synthesizing research conclusions.
- Regularly travel to evaluate opportunities and support founders face to face.
- Perform public speeches at high profile events to build the Prime Movers Lab brand and reputation as the most founder-friendly venture capital firm.
- PhD in physics, mechanical engineering, or a similar field.
- Demonstrated ability to reason from first principles.
- Track record in inventing, designing, and building sophisticated mechanical engineering systems.
- Flexible hours and availability with a startup attitude of intense dedication.
- Prior experience in a fast-paced startup.
- Past exposure to angel investing or venture capital.
- Expertise in building engineering teams.