Senior Food Scientist
Berkeley, CA /
At Prime Roots, we imagine a world where the meat we crave is in sync with the planet – without all the greenhouse gas emissions or cholesterol of conventional meat. We believe we can feed the world in a way that is truly sustainable and accessible to all. We’re not just about creating flavorful, plant-based meats and meals. We’re out to inspire social and environmental change with every bite. And we’re always on the hunt for other innovative builders, growers, and strategizers to join us on our big, meaty mission! We strive to be inspiring and inspired. The Prime Roots team is all about loving people and planet. That includes people just like you. When you work with us, you are joining a team that is inclusive, diverse, and as thoughtful as the food we create (maybe even more so). We all share the same sizzling desire to cook up a positive impact on our world.
We are seeking a Senior Food Scientist to join our R&D team to develop the best plant based products using our novel fungi based protein. This role will get to work on platform development and get the experience of conducting research and development that will cross functionally assist our R&D team as well as apply it to products that will be commercialized.
What You’ll Do
- Work with our CTO to manage technical timelines for new products and platform development with our novel fungi based ingredient
- Lead a technical and food oriented team and work hands on to create the most delicious plant based products
- Oversee and manage projects and timelines in the Research Development and New Product Development Teams
- Work hands on to complete special projects, platform development projects, as well as new product development projects
- Critically think and expand on our understanding of novel material properties of our ingredients and novel ingredients as well as work on expanding basic research projects and initiatives
- Roll up your sleeves and work on everything from procurement, analytics, to formulations
- Create, review, present, and execute on scientific and development plans to meet the overall product and company goals and initiatives
- Cross functionally operate and have good grasp of concepts with culinary, food science, biology, engineering, commercialization
- Ensure that products from inception to launch and beyond meet product specs are upheld
- Continue to improve our agile and rapid iteration process and timelines across R&D and New Product Development
- Work closely with Product and Commercialization team and assist as needed too ensure the creation and launch of the best products
- Oversee the product approval process and coordinate testing events internally and externally and refine processes
- Oversee the maintenance and training and procurement of systems and instrumentation as needed to meet the needs of our R&D team
- Oversee projects and provide assistance with co-manufacturer development or co-developed projects
Who You Are
- M.Sc or PhD in Food Science, Biology, Chemistry, or related field.
- At least 7+ years in the food industry developing and commercializing products
- Well rounded Scientist who has experience or deep understanding technically of textures, material science, flavors
- An adventurous and well eaten individual who loves food and how it’s made
- Experience working with novel ingredients and technical food science toolkit both in terms of ingredients as well as instrumentation and analytics
- Multidisciplinary thinker and tinkerer using a multitude of approaches to solve problems and lead development projects
- A believer in the scientific method for solving food development challenges and strong skills in experimental design
- Experience development and commercializing products preferably both in-house as well as with co-manufacturers and developers
- Extremely data driven and also able to analyze data to drive insights and developments
- Thrives in fast paced environment and experience working in or interest in working at a innovative startup
- Excited to work on and preferably experience working on extremely technical new products that require ingenuity
Perks of Working With Us
- Opportunity to work in a fast-growing innovative food startup.
- Competitive compensation and equity.
- Excellent growth and advancement opportunities.
- Collaborative working environment.
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance.
- FSA, HSA, and Commuter Benefits Accounts.
Prime Roots is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusiveness. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About Prime Roots
Prime Roots (formerly Terramino Foods) is a venture backed San Francisco Bay Area based food company that is mission and community driven. Prime Roots grows and uses a fungi superprotein to make delicious and ultra-sustainable food products. The work of the Prime Roots team has been featured in publications such as the Wall Street Journal, Fast Company, Forbes, Food and Wine, and more.