Florida Outreach Director
Communications – State Communications
We’re looking for an Outreach Director to join our team, someone who can communicate with voters in key states about the harmful impact of Donald Trump’s policies in the lead up to the 2020 election.
The right candidate will understand where, how, and from who voters in the state get their news. This is a distinct opportunity to shape the conversation on the ground, in the local media, and to help inform voters ahead of the election.
This role will combine responsibilities traditionally associated with press and digital positions. The Outreach Director will be responsible for all outreach to reporters, talkers, and digital influencers, while also taking a leading role in determining the communications strategy and tactics for reaching voters in the state.
You’ll be joining a new communications team, one that bridges the divide that’s existed for too long between press and digital communications. We’re focused on communicating with voters, using every tool and tactic we can. This will mean working through traditional press, digital organizing, organic content creation, and working with our paid ads program to communicate directly with targeted voters.
- The Outreach Director, who is based in Florida and reports to the Director of Battle Ground Communications, is responsible for the following:
- Writing press materials, including but not limited to press releases, advisories, op-eds, talking points, and newsletters
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with reporters in targeted media markets across Florida
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with local influencers and stakeholders and provide them with talking points and message guidance as needed
- Pitching events and stories to reporters and media outlets to highlight the impact of Trump’s policies and actions on the community
- Monitoring and tracking news through daily press clips
- Drafting social media and ad copy
- Attending press events as needed
- Locating, interviewing, and record real people’s stories that speak to the impact of Donald Trump’s policies
- Connecting with your subjects to establish the necessary trust to help tell their stories
- Performing other duties as assigned
- We are seeking candidates that excel in understanding how and where people get their news, and how to work with those partners to reach voters. You should have:
- Worked in communications for a minimum of two political cycles
- Experience with traditional and digital communication tools and tactics
- Experience working on political campaigns or with advocacy organizations
- Experience dealing with and speaking to the media
- Experience with rapid response communication
- Ability to work fast under pressure and support many simultaneous projects. With multiple projects moving at once, organization and communication skills are critical.
- Ability to think outside the box. This is a disruptive program with the goal is finding the best way to get a message to voters, not delivering messages through pre-determined methods and tactics.
- Familiarity with the Democratic Party’s message and objectives
- A strong commitment to electing Democratic Leaders
- Experience working in Florida is strongly preferred
- An eagle eye for detail – You noticed the typo in this bullet
- Ability to work well with others. As a member of a two-person in-state team, you’ll need to collaborate regularly to achieve your shared goal.
- Must have reliable transportation
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and two samples that showcase your work.
We project the salary range to be $65,000-$75,000, but will be tailored to experience and includes a benefits package that includes health care, paid holidays and vacation. People of color, women, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.