Director of Battleground State Communications
Communications – State Communications
The Director of Battleground State Communications will lead a team focused on communicating with voters in key states about Trump, his impact on their communities and issues surrounding the 2020 election. This will be an opportunity to help shape the conversation on the ground and in the local media to help inform voters ahead of the election.
Press and digital communications have been split between departments and siloed off for too long. Priorities USA is looking to create a new communications department model to communicate with voters that optimizes based on end goals and not just tools or tactics. This will mean working through traditional press, digital organizing, organic content creation and working with the paid ads program to communicate directly with targeted voters.
The perfect candidate for this position will be creative, have a strong grasp on both digital and press communications strategy and be an excellent manager. The team will be spread across multiple states and will need to coordinate seamlessly with allied groups as well as other departments at Priorities.
- Remotely manage a large team across multiple states to strategically communicate with voters in targeted media markets using a wide range of tactics spanning press, organizing and digital advertising
- Oversee and approve the production of content, and robust collection of stories across multiple battleground states
- Work with teams on the ground to shape strategy and oversee execution of highly localized communications plans
- Work with Communications Director to ensure state operations are in line with national messaging strategy
- Coordinate with the national paid media team to integrate on the ground communications with the larger advertising strategy
- Coordinate with national political team ensure on-the-ground efforts are in line with the political priorities
- At least three political cycles working in either digital or traditional communications roles
- Ability to think outside the box - we want this program to be disruptive. The goal is finding the best way to get a message to voters, not delivering messages through pre-determined methods and tactics
- Familiarity of the Democratic Party’s messaging and objectives
- Ability to work well with others - you will be working closely with members of other teams in addition to direct reports - internal communications will be critical to making this program successful
- Digital paid media fluency – you know why a TV ad sometimes won’t cut it on pre-roll, but you also know why a :15 pre-roll spot won’t work on Facebook. And you know why video isn’t everything.
- A leader – You know how to synthesize people’s best ideas into a vision, but also how to get people to buy into that vision.
Compensation includes a competitive salary based on experience and a benefits package that includes health care, paid holidays and vacation. People of color, women, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.