Senior Software Engineer
R&D – Engineering /
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer who is highly technically proficient where you take a deep pride in the products you build and care about writing readable, well-tested code. Depending on your motivations, this has the potential to grow into a Tech lead position.
Privitar is a rapidly growing Data Privacy Enterprise Software company founded in London with global offices in Boston, Warsaw and Israel; building software to enable the safe and ethical use of valuable data for analytics and machine learning. We work with large organizations worldwide in financial services, telecommunications, pharma, and government, enabling them to get the most out of data without compromising on privacy and security.
Privitar is pioneering the new enterprise software category of sensitive data management, with deep domain expertise in data privacy. The company aims to define and lead this category, capture the market on modern data platforms; and address a social issue of growing importance. Our technology enables organizations to make data available efficiently and safely to drive data-driven decision making, capture value and reduce risk.
Backed by world-leading private equity and venture capital funds who’ve invested in companies like Crowdstrike, BEA Systems, Slack, Dropbox and Spotify to date we have raised over $150million in funding and have ambitious growth plans, despite challenging economic conditions. In 2020, our team nearly doubled to 200 people and we continue to hire great people. The company was recently lauded by The Sunday Times as one of the “10 Tech Ones to Watch,” ranked #18 on the 2020 Deloitte Technology UK Fast 50 and honoured as one of the FinTech50.
Many of an organization's deepest, most valuable insights are derived from analyzing sensitive data. The Privitar Data Provisioning Platform enables analysts and data scientists to find, understand and share useful datasets. The platform integrates with existing metadata sources and enables users to collaborate to refine content and request new data. Data protection is achieved through a comprehensive metadata layer that contextualizes datasets and drives automated privacy enforcement through a set of intuitive relationships based on a controlled vocabulary and governance standards. By maximizing the utility of the data and expanding its safe access, organizations can improve insights to prevent financial crimes such as anti-money laundering, improve sales and marketing segmentation analysis, enhance research models through data sharing, enable cloud migration technologies and even launch data monetization initiatives.
The platform is delivered as both SaaS and hybrid cloud offerings that are optimized to deal with a wide range of data at rest and in flight and you'll join our team as we build out an extensible architecture that will run anywhere, at scale, and form the basis for significant evolution in the roadmap as we continue to solve our customers' biggest challenges and help them unlock the potential of their data.
You will be working together with the team to build out a scalable cloud-first data processing privacy engine. Ideal candidates for this role learn and adapt quickly; you are comfortable with being dropped into challenging technical problems and being given the responsibility to solve them. You’ll combine state-of-the-art technologies with leading-edge algorithms to understand and tackle hard data security and data anonymisation problems.
You value working in a close-knit team with other talented people and seek both to learn from and help others. You have a positive, constructive and proactive approach and enjoy working with the team to design and architect solutions, choose technologies, implement, ensure quality and constantly improve how we work as a team.
- Raise the quality bar, influence coding standards and testing practises and ways of working in line with other team’s standards.
- You will help to mentor the more junior SWEs you work with through pair-programming, design and code reviews, high quality feedback, and suggested topics for self-directed learning, etc
- You always strive to improve things around you. It can be processes, ways of working as well as the code.
- You are not afraid to question something that might seem obvious or to give it a go and learn how to do things better.
- Lead on the system design of certain aspects of our architecture.
What we need from you
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Computer Science or a Science or Engineering discipline. We can make exceptions to this for exceptional candidates.
- Experience of coding in Java or in a related object orientated language and evidence of commitment and ability to ramp up in Java.
- You are comfortable with being dropped into challenging technical problems and being given the responsibility to solve them.
- Experience building a software product, ideally over the full lifecycle from design to production and ongoing support and enhancement
- Experience of and commitment to automated testing
- Ability to deliver results with rapidly evolving propositions, client demands and business needs
- Experience building complex distributed systems using micro services architecture
- Curious and open to learn new languages and tools
- Excellent communication skills (and the maturity to understand why this is vital)
- Exposure to technologies such as: Spark, Graph DBs, GraphQL, grpc, containerization, Kubernetes and Reactive frameworks
- Experience building data platforms or data management solutions
- Experience building and deploying hybrid cloud products
- Understanding of software security and threat models, and experience building secure applications
- Experience with Amazon AWS and other cloud platforms
What we give you in return
- 30 days holiday allowance in addition to UK Bank Holidays. We value work-life balance and encourage team members to take it all.
- Private Health Insurance with Vitality
- We match pension contributions up to 5%
- Stock Options - everyone has a share in Privitar
- 20 weeks full pay maternity leave, 12 weeks full pay paternity leave
- Sickness, Critical Illness, Worldwide travel and Life Insurance
- Technology - company paid for mobile phone and mac.
- Bi-weekly whole company virtual lunch. £20 allowance. Good food, great company
- Bike to work scheme
- Regular virtual socials to keep you and your colleagues connected
Privitar does not accept unsolicited referrals or CVs from any source other than directly from candidates or approved agencies with written agreements in place and instructed on specified roles.
Unsolicited CVs received from any agency not engaged as outlined above will be considered a "free gift", and there will be no fees due should we choose to contact the candidate directly. Receipt of unsolicited CVs will in no way establish any prior claim to the candidate should they also be submitted by another agency. We consider this type of activity an attempt to lay claim to a given candidate and therefore entirely inappropriate. Any submission of unsolicited CVs to us will be deemed as full acceptance of these terms.
We only engage with agencies who are respectful of candidates, businesses and other agencies. We abide by our agreements with them and maintain genuine, straight-forward and lasting relationships which generate the highest calibre candidates for our business.