Labs Software Engineer
R&D – Research /
Privitar, headquartered and founded in London, is a rapidly growing software company, enabling the world’s leading enterprises to use data in a safe and ethical way. We work with companies across all industry verticals and geographies, enabling them to drive business value from data, and new and innovative uses for data without compromising on privacy and security. We empower organizations to harness the power of data to innovate faster, while protecting the privacy of individuals. By delivering comprehensive data privacy techniques and streamlining data provisioning, Privitar enables enterprises to extract the maximum value from the data they collect, manage and use, while minimizing risk.
Backed by tier-1 private equity and venture capital funds who’ve invested in companies like Crowdstrike, BEA Systems, Slack, Dropbox and Spotify, Privitar has raised over $150million in funding and has ambitious plans to define and lead this emerging category. The company was recently lauded by The Sunday Times as one of the “10 Tech Ones to Watch,” ranked #18 on the 2020 Deloitte Technology UK Fast 50 and honored as one of the FinTech50.
About Privitar Labs
The Labs team’s mission is to research and develop advanced solutions to the most challenging data privacy problems. We work on investigatory and prototyping projects, new technologies, advanced features and architectures for our product. We’re driving the creation of practical solutions using PETs and finding ways for our users to provision and use data safely and effectively. We work on internal projects to research a problem and the ecosystem, devising and prototyping solutions. We also run external research collaborations in close partnership with our strategic customers to apply leading privacy techniques to enable new uses of data. We collaborate with academic advisors, bringing world-leading expertise to real-world problems.
In the Labs team at Privitar, we are committed to tackling the hard problem of data privacy head on and are comfortable being challenged. We value creativity, teamwork, pragmatism, and hard work. We work together in small teams in a supportive way, developing our skills, learning from each other, and building on each other's ideas.
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer to channel leading edge research in privacy into products that have a tangible, positive impact on the world.
Labs engineers and researchers work together to research and develop new technical privacy solutions. You will bring your engineering expertise to establish technical feasibility, develop prototypes, measure and enhance performance, and figure out how new solutions can be integrated with our product.
You are strongly motivated to understand customer privacy issues and pain-points, and are curious to learn more about new or emerging technologies and work out how they can be used to solve real world business problems.
Labs engineers take the lead on engineering tasks and are comfortable working in a self-directed manner, sometimes independently. You enjoy software design and architecture and have perspective on a project, so that you understand what are the main areas of technical uncertainty to tackle first.
Focusing on the applied over the theoretical, Labs Software Engineers at Privitar have the role of bridging the gap between academia and industry. As a pioneer in privacy engineering, Privitar is positioned to establish best practices in industry management of sensitive data which reflect both academic excellence but also real-world pragmatism. As a member of the Labs team, you will play a role in helping to inform the company’s positioning, and product roadmap.
Opportunities as a Labs Software Engineer at Privitar include
- Collaborating directly with customers to understand the unsolved privacy challenges, building and evaluating prototype solutions
- Working with the Product and Engineering teams to establish new product solutions
- Collaborating with the academic community to develop approaches and utilise state-of-the-art research
- Developing an understanding of various privacy enhancing technologies, their strengths and limitations, when to use them - transferring this knowledge throughout the business
- Work with the team to research privacy techniques and develop solutions. This involves reviewing literature and understanding existing technology
- Assess new technologies and how they can be used to enhance our product
- Maintain a good working knowledge of the Privitar codebase and develop prototype features on top of it in Java and sometimes in Python
- Build customer-ready software for early access programmes
- Communicate complex technical problems and solutions with the team, the company, and our academic advisors. Maintain clear write ups summarising any findings
- Work closely with the product team to understand and develop use case definitions
- Attend customer meetings and develop an understanding of real-world business problems requiring privacy solutions
- Enthusiasm and flexibility to dive into a range of privacy related research questions and techniques.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Computer Science or a Science or Engineering discipline. We can make exceptions to this for exceptional candidates.
- Experience of coding in Python or Java in an industry setting.
- You are comfortable with being dropped into challenging technical problems and being given the responsibility to solve them.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and a passion to share your knowledge and findings.
- Experience with data visualization and presentation of findings.
- Experience with data privacy techniques - for instance, homomorphic encryption or differential privacy.
- Experience with cryptography and a solid understanding of cryptographic primitives.
- Strong mathematical skills (for example in statistics, linear algebra, probability) and an ability to communicate and explain complex techniques.
What we give you in return
- 30 days holiday allowance in addition to UK Bank Holidays. We value work-life balance and encourage team members to take it all.
- Private Health Insurance with Aviva
- We match pension contributions up to 5%
- Stock Options - everyone has a share in Privitar
- 20 weeks full pay maternity leave, 12 weeks full pay paternity leave
- Sickness, Critical Illness, Worldwide travel and Life Insurance
- Technology - company paid for mobile phone and mac.
- Bi-weekly whole company virtual lunch. £20 allowance. Good food, great company
- Bike to work scheme
- Regular virtual socials to keep you and your colleagues connected
Privitar does not accept unsolicited referrals or CVs from any source other than directly from candidates or approved agencies with written agreements in place and instructed on specified roles.
Unsolicited CVs received from any agency not engaged as outlined above will be considered a "free gift", and there will be no fees due should we choose to contact the candidate directly. Receipt of unsolicited CVs will in no way establish any prior claim to the candidate should they also be submitted by another agency. We consider this type of activity an attempt to lay claim to a given candidate and therefore entirely inappropriate. Any submission of unsolicited CVs to us will be deemed as full acceptance of these terms.
We only engage with agencies who are respectful of candidates, businesses and other agencies. We abide by our agreements with them and maintain genuine, straight-forward and lasting relationships which generate the highest calibre candidates for our business.