Software Engineer - Big Data
Privitar is a rapidly growing VC-backed company based in London, building software to enable the safe and ethical use of valuable data for analytics and machine learning. We work with large organisations worldwide in financial services, telecommunications, pharma and government, enabling them to get the most out of data without compromising on privacy and security.
Privitar is pioneering the new enterprise software category of Privacy Engineering to serve this emerging business need and address a social issue of growing importance. Our technology enables organisations to safely analyse and mine sensitive datasets while protecting the individual’s privacy.
We are looking for talented and passionate engineers who love to build great products and enjoy immersing themselves in hard data problems. You will be building innovative solutions using the latest technologies to solve one of the most important problems of the big data age.
Ideal candidates for this role learn and adapt quickly; you are comfortable with being dropped into challenging technical problems and being given the responsibility to solve them. You’ll combine state-of-the-art technologies with leading-edge algorithms to understand and tackle hard data security and data anonymisation problems.
You take a deep pride in the products you build and care about writing clear, well-tested code. You value working in a close-knit team with other talented people and seek both to learn from and help others. You have a positive, constructive and proactive approach and enjoy working with the team to design and architect solutions, choose technologies, implement, ensure quality and constantly improve how we work as a team.
You are excited about the variety and fast pace of a dynamic startup and relish the opportunity to make a sizeable and meaningful contribution to the direction and success of a young company.
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Computer Science or a Science or Engineering discipline
- High level of proficiency in Java
- Deep knowledge of the Hadoop stack and other big data technologies (MapReduce, HDFS, HBase, Hive)
- Experience building complex distributed systems
- Experience with distributed algorithms and re-factoring algorithms for a distributed computing model
- Experience with Spark, Cassandra, and other big data technologies
- Understanding of software security and threat models, and experience building secure applications
- Knowledge of emerging big data security and auditing tools (Sentry, Ranger, Knox)
- Knowledge of enterprise authentication and authorisation tools such as Kerberos, LDAP
- Knowledge of ETL tools
- Knowledge of SQL and relational database technology
- Experience with Amazon AWS and other cloud platforms
- Experience developing significant software products and supporting them in production
- Knowledge of Python
Privitar does not accept unsolicited referrals or CVs from any source other than directly from candidates or approved agencies with written agreements in place and instructed on specified roles.
Unsolicited CVs received from any agency not engaged as outlined above will be considered a "free gift", and there will be no fees due should we choose to contact the candidate directly. Receipt of unsolicited CVs will in no way establish any prior claim to the candidate should they also be submitted by another agency. We consider this type of activity an attempt to lay claim to a given candidate and therefore entirely inappropriate. Any submission of unsolicited CVs to us will be deemed as full acceptance of these terms.
We only engage with agencies who are respectful of candidates, businesses and other agencies. We abide by our agreements with them and maintain genuine, straight-forward and lasting relationships which generate the highest calibre candidates for our business.