Associate Digital Director
Washington, DC /
Campaigns and Advocacy – Digital /
Full-time / Exempt / Non-Union
About NARAL Pro-Choice America
For more than 50 years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has fought to protect and expand reproductive freedom—including access to abortion and contraception—for every body. We are powered by our more than 4 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing the 8 in 10 Americans who support the legal right to abortion.
As the oldest and largest national membership organization primarily focused on advocating for abortion access, we organize and mobilize, galvanizing millions of people to take action to defend reproductive freedom, and shining a spotlight of accountability on bad actors who work to impose their ideological agenda on others. We also work to elect champions for reproductive freedom and advance state and federal legislation to safeguard it.
NARAL Pro-Choice America centers diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in our organization and our work. Continuously learning from our history, we strive to hold ourselves accountable so we can realize our vision for a world where reproductive freedom is a reality for all.
NARAL Pro-Choice America is seeking an Associate Digital Director to join our growing Digital department. This position is an integral part of a dynamic integrated national and state digital program that drives engagement and outreach for member engagement, public education, advocacy, and fundraising campaigns across NARAL’s digital properties.
The Associate Digital Director will support the Digital Director and Deputy Digital Director in the management of the Digital department, annual planning and budgeting, and strategic planning and implementation of NARAL’s robust national, state, and regional integrated digital public education, member engagement, organizing, fundraising, and advocacy campaigns.
The Associate Director will be responsible for the planning and implementation of NARAL’s state and regional digital strategy for legislative, advocacy, and mobilization campaigns; developing and executing NARAL’s social media strategy and voice; and managing the strategy and maintenance of all web properties. The perfect person for this job is someone who’s passionate about digital activism, is looking to elevate their leadership and management skills, and aspires to lead a team or digital program down the road.
The responsibilities of the Associate Digital Director may also encompass other areas, as determined by the Digital Director.
Location: Washington, DC or Remote
Reports to: Digital Director
Positions reporting to this position: Sr. Social Media Strategist and Sr. Digital Manager
This position is: Full-time Exempt; Non-Union Management Level: V
Salary range: $79,600 - $90,667
- Support the Digital Director and Deputy Digital Director to manage the day-to-day operations of the Digital department by implementing digital acquisition, fundraising, and advocacy strategies.
- Support NARAL’s member experience program, track analytics and report donor and member behavior.
- Assist Digital Director and Deputy Director in maintaining the digital outreach calendar.
- Execute digital rapid response, support vendor management, and assist with department budgeting, and administrative duties.
- Develop and execute the digital strategy for state and regional initiatives.
- Manage cross-channel digital content creation for advocacy and engagement campaigns, track and report analytics, and paid and earned acquisition.
- Lead strategic planning and execution of NARAL’s social media presence; driving implementation and execution of national social media campaigns.
- Working with Research and Development teams to manage influencer outreach and engagement.
- Collaborating with the Communications team to position NARAL as the go-to source and ensure rapid response in key moments.
- Owning the planning and management of NARAL’s websites—this includes updating UX/UI, tracking and reporting user behavior, content management, administering cross-department requests, and maintaining frontend and backend development to ensure NARAL’s websites are frequently updated and remain accessible.
- Collaborate with the Deputy Director to integrate national priorities and member experience initiatives into state and regional outreach.
- Ensure priority state issues are highlighted across national digital channels.
- Work closely with the Communications, Organizing, and Campaigns teams to manage NARAL’s member and volunteer storyteller program.
- Supporting NARAL’s political endorsements program by managing design needs and cross channel digital outreach for candidate announcements
- Representing NARAL in state and regional coalition spaces to support digital strategy and outreach for state legislative and campaign initiatives
- Managing and supporting the professional development of digital staff responsible for social media and website properties.
- Other duties as assigned by the Digital Director.
- Understands broad organizational messaging priorities and is able to align to strategic recommendations that bolster digital engagement and acquisition.
- Knows how to use a data-informed approach that incorporates testing, analysis, and tracking to build strategy and drive results for robust digital programs.
- Curious and Innovative. Ready to drive the evolution of digital engagement by implementing new approaches to digital strategy and engagement.
- Team player that possesses excellent communications skills and the capacity to adapt, be flexible, and be nimble.
- Demonstrates an interest and ongoing commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Is able to draw from team members' strengths - empowering them to maximize their talents.
- Contributes where needed to achieve and exceed goals, mentors, and guides colleagues with regular feedback and recognition.
- Clearly lays out vision and expectations to the team.
- Commitment to NARAL Pro-Choice America’s goal of protecting reproductive freedom and ensuring every person is able to make their own decisions about pregnancy.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 5-7 years of digital marketing experience, including work for political campaigns, issue advocacy groups, or in relevant marketing roles.
- Experience with CMS (like WordPress) and CRMs (like NGPVan and BSD) as well as knowledge of HTML, Java, CSS and other coding languages.
- Familiarity with graphic design programs like Adobe CS3.
- Experience managing the social media voice and strategy, and website for a national or state political, advocacy, or non-profit organization.
- Experience in digital engagement and advocacy-based community building as well as paid acquisition.
- Experience with using social listening tools and analytics platforms, and using data to inform strategy.
- Strong technical acumen, with the ability to quickly understand and communicate technical concepts and challenges to wide-ranging audiences in a digestible and engaging manner.
- Proven track record for being a self-starter and working independently.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills with the ability to build relationships with staff at all levels and to collaborate and work with a cross-functional team throughout the organization to meet goals and achieve results.
- Demonstrated experience leading geographically dispersed teams, with a track record of success in managing and motivating staff in a fast-moving, highly collaborative environment.
- Proven track record of developing, communicating, and managing successful digital engagement strategies and campaigns.
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills, with the ability to translate complex information and implications for a variety of audiences.
NARAL Pro-Choice America is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices based on actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, gender or sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, marital status, sexual orientations, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color (including bilingual and bicultural individuals), LGBTQ+ persons, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.