Senior Game Developer - Math Game
Greater Toronto Area, Ontario
Engineering – Development (Game) /
Full Time Employee (FTE) /
Prodigy Education is a global leader in game-based learning and is one of the fastest-growing EdTech companies in North America. Our mission is to help every student in the world love learning, motivating millions worldwide via fun, secure and accessible curriculum-aligned gameplay experiences. Visit www.prodigygame.com to learn more.
The Engineering team builds and operates a high performance, scalable, reliable, and secure technology platform that will allow us to transform education and deliver effective learning experiences to every student in the world. We do this by building for tomorrow, failing fast and early, and empowering each other to make things better. Interested in learning more about what we're working on? Visit the Prodigy Engineering blog at https://medium.com/prodigy-engineering
As a Senior Game Developer for our flagship Math game, boasting a vibrant monthly user base of approximately 7 million active students, you will play a pivotal role in crafting captivating online adventures. Our students engage in thrilling quests, level up, and collect pets, all while mastering a wide spectrum of 1500 math concepts.
Leveraging your seasoned expertise, you will lead the charge in pioneering innovative features and optimizing our team's workflow. Your impact extends beyond writing code; it encompasses identifying opportunities for technological advancements and nurturing the professional growth of fellow developers through mentorship.
- You will write exceptional code that brings immersive experiences to life for young learners. Your passion for software engineering will show with your commitment to delivering amazing experiences.
- Your ability to balance swift development with future-proofing is your hallmark.
- Collaborate closely with game designers, artists, product managers, producers, and qa to create engaging gameplay experiences that seamlessly align the technical implementation with the game design vision.
- Drawing upon your extensive history in game development, you’ll span the entire software development lifecycle: encompassing system design, code implementation, automated testing, tooling, deployment, and observability. You’ll propose and build enhancements to the architecture and design of the game’s systems to pave the way for future features.
- You will provide technical leadership within your cross-functional game development team. You’ll guide the team’s technical direction and cultivate a culture of excellence, providing valuable input in code reviews and pairing sessions.
- You will optimize game performance across various platforms and devices, ensuring that gameplay is smooth and enjoyable for kids playing in schools and at home.
- With a sincere love for gaming and more than five years of experience in the game development field, you will contribute invaluable expertise by crafting engaging game features from scratch.
- You bring a wealth of experience in mobile gaming and a deep understanding of RPGs (Role-Playing Games).
- You’re familiar with engines like Unity, Unreal, and Godot. You possess an in-depth understanding of these engines' capabilities and limitations and can apply this knowledge to enhance our proprietary engine.
- You possess a deep knowledge of game development principles, design patterns, algorithms, memory management, and performance optimization.
- Your background includes experience with multiplayer and live games and you bring a nuanced understanding of the unique challenges they present.
- Your excellent communication skills enable effective collaboration with cross-functional teams and the ability to convey technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- You are a proactive learner who actively seeks out new technologies and willingly shares your knowledge with the team.
- Experience working with Live Games
- Experience working with multiple engines
- Our game is built using a bespoke HTML5 game engine and editor built on top of PixiJS and written in TypeScript.
- Our Game Editor is an Electron App written using React/Typescript.
Working At Prodigy
- Be part of a mission-driven organization dedicated to helping every student in the world love learning! At Prodigy Education, your work positively impacts the lives of millions of students and teachers worldwide.
- Join a company which empowers a Growth Mindset among its team members, so you grow as we do. You’ll also work on award-winning products which harness the magic of math and power of language for students in grades 1st-8th.
- We understand that a thriving team is at the core of our success. So, on top of an inspirational mission and rewarding work, our Total Rewards Program reflects our commitment to your financial, physical, and mental well-being.
- It’s not just about the work though; it's about the culture. As the Toronto Star reports in a recent feature on Prodigy: "Prodigy’s secret sauce is that it sees its corporate culture as something that is built slowly from the ground up and is always evolving.” Check it out here.
- #LI-Remote, #LI-SM1
Prodigy Math is used by almost one million teachers a year, and was named the most popular supplemental education platform in classrooms in the United States! Our products have also won numerous consumer awards, including the Mom’s Choice Award, Parent and Teacher Choice Awards, and National Parenting Product Award.
Come as you are. We believe the power of our collective potential will transform education. We are building towards a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace to empower and create access and opportunity for all. We welcome applications from people from all underrepresented groups, including (but not limited to) people of any gender, age, or religion, members of the LGBTQIA2+ community, BIPOC and other underrepresented races and nationalities, people with disabilities, veterans, and anyone who may contribute to the further diversification of Prodigy Education. If you feel like you don’t have all the qualifications for this position and are willing to use your initiative to learn the rest, we’d still love for you to apply!
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA). Prodigy Education will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation, please notify us at email@example.com, and we will work with you to meet your needs.