Senior Backend Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Callisto is a San Francisco-based nonprofit organization that creates technology to combat sexual assault, empower survivors, and advance justice. Specifically, we create websites that make it easier for sexual assault survivors to report and name their assailant and enable the detection of repeat sexual offenders. We also connect survivors to attorneys who advise them on their options to seek justice. We are funded by earned revenue from partner institutions and by philanthropic supporters, including Google.org, Y Combinator, Greylock Partners, and the Skoll Foundation.
We are a rapidly growing and powerful team, united in the belief that we can create a more safe and just world.
About the Position:
As the Senior Backend Software Engineer at Callisto, you will join a fast-paced, collaborative, multidisciplinary team to implement and support first-class technical infrastructure in solving complex problems in the social justice, data security, and legal space. Our Product Team is passionate about building and scaling our survivor-centered products as we grow.
With your versatile engineering experience and strong technical background, you will immediately be able to join us in sustaining our ability to support even more users and survivors. To do this work we bring high attention to detail to everything we do, from bug-fixing to code climate improvement (documentation, automated tests, and analytics) to new feature development. Problem-solving will be at the heart of what you do.
While at times you will work independently, we also highly value collaboration and communication within the team and with other departments; you will participate in our stand-ups, user-centric product design, QA work, and project management. Over time, you will contribute meaningfully to our developer operations and develop a strong understanding of the sexual assault and coercion space, with a focus on user privacy and security.
We are excited to deepen our expertise in innovative approaches to product development and to scale our engineering processes while adopting industry best practices. We hope you are as excited to learn new things and will consider applying for this role if this sounds like you.
This position will be located in San Francisco.
• Work closely with the Chief Technology Officer and the Product Team to innovate impactful products for survivors of sexual assault and coercion.
• Be part of the small engineering team that will improve and support Callisto’s recently launched expansion product.
• Work on cutting-edge technologies across the stack, including federated server infrastructure, Node.js and Angular, intricate user interfaces and advanced cryptography.
• Execute Callisto’s data security strategy to protect the privacy and civil liberties of our users.
• Debug and troubleshoot problems in complex systems.
• Help create a world where sexual violence is rare and survivors are supported.
Essential Skills and Experience
• You have seven plus years of engineering experience across the stack, with at least five of those years working in complex developer operations.
• You have experience supporting production-grade software and/or commercial projects.
• You are highly skilled with Linux and systems administration.
• You have a keen interest in building and shipping products with a focus on privacy, data security, and cryptography.
• You possess a strong working knowledge of relational databases and Git and pride yourself on having an excellent version control system.
• You have worked on or with cross-functional product development teams.
• You thrive in a constantly changing environment and enjoy learning new things.
• You want to pursue a passion for justice and use all of these skills to combat sexual assault, support survivors, and advance justice.
What to Expect at Callisto:
We bring the best of many different industries together, including engineers, designers, educators, and legal experts. We've crafted a culture that balances ambitious world change with team sustainability and self-care. We are thoughtful, rigorous, inclusive, humble, kind, direct, creative, agile, entrepreneurial, and mission-driven. We don't take ourselves too seriously, but take the work very seriously. And amazingly, despite the sobering realities of the problem we're trying to solve, we have a ton of fun. We identify and solve problems as a team of experts, working together to bring about our vision for the world.
Callisto offers competitive salaries, a 401k, paid leave, and medical, dental, and vision insurance. Members of the Callisto team receive a generous professional development budget. Callisto has a flexible work-from-home policy and work hours, letting you work where and when you can perform at your best.
Our Mission & Vision
Our vision is a world where sexual assault is rare and survivors are supported. Our mission is to create technology that combats sexual assault, supports survivors, and advances justice.
Callisto is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.