Data Pipelines Team Lead (Remote/Hybrid)
Seattle, WA /
Data Engineering & Science /
Opala is growing and seeking an experienced Data Engineer to lead a team of developers in building our core data pipelines. You should have a strong background in various databases, ETL/ELT processes, and tools. In this role, you will lead the development, design and deployment of our data integrations.
Opala is a healthcare tech startup, combining patient information to establish a complete, individual healthcare profile. Our end goal is to improve healthcare outcomes and reduce cost, administrative waste, and to enable digital solutions.
If you want to directly impact transforming healthcare through data and technology and have a passion for this space, we'd love to hear from you. In exchange, we’ll also provide great benefits (medical/dental/vision, HSA, 401k, PTO, etc.), competitive salaries, generous stock option plan and opportunities for growth and development.
Our team is based in downtown Seattle, offering amazing views of the Puget Sound, Mt Rainier and the Olympics. We're conveniently located next to major transit lines and a quick walk to Pike Place Market and Seattle Art Museum. Complimentary perks include onsite bike storage, a beautiful gym and fully outfitted game room and more.
- Manages and grows a team of developers and analysts responsible for building our data integration pipelines
- Works with engineers and architects to design and build efficient, exacting ETL/ELT processes to support Opala’s data hub
- Works with product team to assist with backlog grooming, story prioritization and requirements gathering/documentation
- Performs development tasks to produce core work in our pipelines
- Mentors and supports members of the pipeline team assisting them with their development tasks and analysis/mapping work
- Performs code reviews and offers support in producing solid, well-engineered development solutions
- Develops standards and best practices for our data engineering team around ingesting and developing data pipelines according to industry and SDLC best practices
- Researches and integrates design strategies, product specifications, development schedules, and user expectations into product capabilities
- Conducts development tasks, analysis, and investigations of considerable complexity
- Provides input to staff involved in writing and updating technical documentation such as user manuals, system documentation and training materials
- Maintains current knowledge of relevant technology as assigned
- Offers innovative technical solutions to evolving customer requirements
- Ensures all required documentation is produced and delivered
- 7+ years’ relevant experience in software development
- 5+ years’ building ETL/ELT processes
- 3+ years’ developing in a structured language (Python, Java, C#, etc.)
- Advanced knowledge of data structures, queries in both relational and non-relational dbs
- Experience with the ingestion and egestion of data in a variety of formats including: CSV, JSON, XML, and HL7
- Familiarity with relational and non-relational databases, such as Postgres, Spark, Oracle, SQL Server, Mongo DB, Dynamo, Cassandra
- Experienced with technologies, such as APIs, RPCs, and clinical application coding using SOAP APIs or REST APIs
- Experience with Agile and Kanban methodologies
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or other related technical discipline, or equivalent relevant work experience
- Experience in building data flow processes in data bricks
- Experience and working knowledge of data in a healthcare data management environment
- 3+ years management experience.
- 2+ years developing in spark/pyspark
Note: Currently, we are unable to accept applicants residing outside the United States and those working in the US who require visa sponsorship and/or unsolicited C2C/CTH. Thank you for understanding.
Opala is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We are committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We celebrate the unique differences of our employees because that is what drives curiosity, innovation, and the success of our business. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information, political affiliation, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities.