Senior NLP Scientist
Remote, USA /
Data Science /
We are on a mission to improve cancer care for patients. To this end, we are developing a truly personalized cancer intelligence platform for the “N of 1” to empower oncologists. In addition, we bring the patient voice to the physician by allowing patients to report symptoms, side effects, and disease progression information via our mobile app, enabling real-time symptom management.
The NLP team is helping Project Rōnin realize its goal of improving cancer patient outcomes across cancer types and across the course of therapy via cutting edge AI, data science, and machine learning. We're looking for candidates who can develop NLP models using modern machine learning frameworks, improve existing models, and push models to production by collaborating with other groups.
As an NLP engineer, you will have a unique opportunity to help build our clinical NLP functionality from the ground up. We are very motivated to build NLP features that actually go to production, and have built substantial infrastructure that enables this. We have teams to support our annotation needs, and teams to help us deploy models to production. Because of this, you will be able to make a positive impact in a field that has touched the lives of almost everyone in the world.
Our existing team has already built a platform that allows patients and clinicians to communicate, (and our userbase is growing rapidly!) but we have several exciting projects planned to further enhance the experience for patients and clinicians. A few of these ideas are: understanding patient/clinician conversations on our app, analyzing free text written by patients, and summarizing multiple communications.
What you will do:
- Analyze complex medical data sets to derive insights that can be used to improve our product and ultimately improve cancer outcomes.
- Develop NLP algorithms to extract clinical information from medical records and patient-reported data.
- Collaborate with our clinical intelligence team to annotate data to test, train, and validate your algorithm.
- Improve our existing production models using feedback from our end-users. Work with our machine learning team to provide NLP-powered features to improve our machine learning algorithms.
- Design and publish health studies in oncology.
What we are looking for:
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, NLP, or quantitative field with research using NLP, or 5+ years of experience.
- Solid python skills.
- Familiarity with pytorch, tensorflow, or keras.
- Experience building models with transformers (and libraries such as huggingface).
- Demonstrable experience in all aspects of the ML/NLP lifecycle (processing, training, evaluating, deploying, serving, monitoring).
- Exposure to applications of data science in healthcare and industry experience with cross-functional collaboration.
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience with designing studies and publishing in peer-reviewed journals.
- Healthcare experience.
What We Offer:
- We’re a remote-first company within the United States
- Competitive salary and equity, based on experience
- 401k through Guideline
- Medical, dental, and vision 100% covered for employees and 70% for dependents
- 100% covered life insurance for employees
- Parental Leave
- Flexible vacation: we encourage everyone to take at least 15 days off per year
- 11 paid company holidays plus a week off during the winter holidays
- All the stipends! Learning & development, internet, cell phone, and team lunches
- Opportunity to work on impactful products in the complex cancer space
Project Rōnin is filling one of the greatest gaps in patient care to date. Our mission is to increase the length and quality of every persons’ life who has been affected by cancer.
This year alone there will be nearly 1.8 million new cancer diagnoses, and the tools oncologists are using haven’t been updated in 20 years. With our platform, communication between patients and their doctors is optimized through an individual care platform that is already having an immediate impact.
Want to learn more?
Avoid the confidence gap. If some of the above describes you, we’d love to chat and see where your skills can add to our team.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status.