Biostatistics Data Scientist
San Mateo, CA
The pace of innovation in cancer treatment has accelerated dramatically in recent years, with new breakthroughs every day and over 600 cancer drugs now on the market. And yet, the technology doctors use to take advantage of these innovations hasn’t evolved in decades. In fact, most doctors still use a software system that was designed in the 1990s for billing and compliance to make life-altering decisions about care.
At Project Ronin, we’re out to change this - fast. Our mission is to dramatically improve cancer care by giving doctors and patients the tools they need to make better decisions about treatment. We’re developing a cancer intelligence platform that provides all the information physicians need, in one place, to assess patient care options and take action. We believe that this technology will allow for truly individualized care and will have an immediate impact on quality of life and survival rates.
We’re building a team of highly motivated, passionate individuals to help us pioneer this new approach to cancer care. Nearly every person will be touched by cancer at some point in their lives, so the potential for our collective impact is vast.
Will you join us?
As part of an expanding team in a data-centric company, you will have a unique opportunity to impact all aspects of our mission. With mentoring from senior statisticians and data scientists, you will work on projects including data exploration and harmonization, modeling of correlated outcomes patient trajectories, visualization of results for internal and external audiences, and other ideas you may come up with. You can make a positive impact in a field that has touched the lives of almost everyone in the world.
What You Will Do:
- Work with a team of statisticians to analyze medical data sets to develop predictive models for cancer treatment outcomes
- Design and publish health studies in oncology
- Explore insights by leveraging our linked medical and patient digital health data
- Provide biostatistical methodology support
What We're Looking For
- Previous experience working with real world data (this can include school projects).
- Understanding and ability to implement statistical modeling and classification methods (e.g. penalized regression, time to event analysis, propensity scores) and eagerness to learn new methods.
- Experience working on projects from start to finish, following reproducibility principles. Ability to explain your work clearly to a non-technical audience.
- Strong R (base/tidyverse) or Python skills.
- Nice to have but not required: MS/Phd in biostatistics or a related field. Experience with machine learning methodology. Experience in oncology or healthcare.
What We Offer:
Our goal is to remove as many obstacles as we can so you are able to do the best work of your life. We offer the following benefits to help you do that:
- Opportunity to make an enormous impact on hundreds of millions of lives, while growing your career
- A team that is passionate about achieving our mission and each other’s success
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Commuter stipend
- Quarterly learning stipend
- Phenomenal location within walking distance to the San Mateo CalTrain
- No meeting Tuesday's for Engineering