Senior Android Engineer
Lehi, UT /
Hi, we're Pronto 👋
Pronto is a fast-growing SaaS company that offers a communication platform for the everyday user. It connects people via chat and video, so they can learn faster, work smarter, and communicate seamlessly. We are growing rapidly and are looking for entrepreneurial individuals who are determined, resilient, self-motivated, and creative problem solvers who are not afraid to challenge the status quo and who thrive on helping customers to discover, develop, and achieve their goals.
Come help us make the Pronto Android app, a mobile-first realtime messaging and video communication app, a delightful experience for our customers. Pronto is used every day by students, retail workers, hotel management and many others (including ourselves) for daily communication and we strive for absolute excellence in the end-user experience on Android. If you’re an experienced Android engineer with a passion for the platform and for taking complex technologies and making them easy to use across a multitude of Android devices, we want to talk to you.
Take a lead role in building the Pronto Android app and making it easy and enjoyable to use. You’ll work with technologies such as WebRTC and WebSockets to craft a beautiful native, realtime experience on Android. You will obsess over the details of the entire Android experience, from model to networking to UI, improving performance, transitions, and animations to make customers delight in their interaction with an app they rely on for communication throughout their day. You’ll work closely with a small team of experienced engineers that will value your expertise and look to you for leadership and new ideas.
- You’ll own the Android experience and guide the team to knowing what’s possible and feasible to implement on Android.
- You’ll identify unique, native Android features that can be added to streamline the Pronto experience.
- You’ll collaborate with the design and core engineering teams to brainstorm new features and prioritize maintenance work.
- You’ll develop the Pronto native Android app using Kotlin and Java.
- You’ll recommend, and drive the adoption of, frameworks and technologies that will improve the Android client experience.
- You’ll triage issues and work with our support team and customers as needed to identify and fix bugs.
- At least 5 years of software engineering experience, with the past 2+ years focused on the Android platform.
- A strong understanding of computer science fundamentals (data structures, algorithms, concurrency, etc.)
- Experience building data, network, and UI-intensive Android apps that work reliably across a wide variety of devices and API levels.
- Experience building internationalized and accessible apps (for international audiences and those with disabilities).
- A portfolio of production-level Android work that you can show (or at least talk extensively about).
- A passion for great mobile UX and design.
Experience with these is certainly helpful, but we don’t expect everyone who applies to know all of them. We don’t hire based on knowledge of a particular language or framework, but on engineering experience, ability to research and learn, and how you’ve learned to approach problems. Good engineers are always learning new frameworks and technologies anyway.
Data model: Realm
Languages: Kotlin (80%), Java (20%)
SCM: git (via GitHub)
Pronto is a Utah-based venture-backed tech company with customers running the gamut from hotels and restaurants to Ivy League schools. We approach organizational communication from a mobile-first perspective, with beautiful and performant native apps for iOS and Android that are designed to be familiar and instantly usable by our customers.
We value simplicity, optimism, and autonomy. We believe in hiring great people, empowering them, and then getting out of their way. Working at Pronto means getting the support and freedom you need to do your best work. It means being part of a group of people that recognize that a team of equals will always accomplish more than a collection of individual egos.