Lead Game & System Designer
Game Design /
We are a small group of veteran game developers and entrepreneurs creating games using blockchain technology. Our vision is simple: to create generation-defining games that fundamentally grant power and ownership to the players who play them.
Our team has decades of experience building games at the scale of 100M+ players. Our team hails from Epic Games, Zynga, EA, and Activision, where we led $1b+ franchises like “FarmVille”and “Mafia Wars.” We’ve also been active as founders and investors in crypto since 2013 and are backed by world-class investors.
Hear directly from our founding team: https://www.beforeyouapply.com/team/early-stage-team-at-proof-of-play
About the role
As our Lead Game & System Designer, you play a key role on the game design and development team. Working closely with our Founder/CEO, Art Director and Producer you will be responsible for designing systems and features from concept to launch, translating high-level game concepts into complex models of game pace, balance, and economy.
The opportunity to help define the next generation of games, “golden mechanics”, best of breed game features, processes, and best practices in this new section of the game industry.
What You'll Do:
- Map out and model features and systems from including: game balance; progression and pace; character and level progression; economy; quest Design & combat (PVE/PVP); collections, crafting, loot and reward systems
- Partner with the game team to ensure crypto economics are balanced (manage inflationary/deflationary forces in incentive design)
- Analyze user and game data to optimize performance against game goals and KPIs. Follow up on features post-launch to improve, add, or remove features
- Communicate gameplay mechanics to the team by providing clear feature documentation, diagrams, calculation models, analyses, wireframes, and/or prototypes
- Stay up to date on trends and best practices within the industry, and develop your skills and refresh your knowledge
- Contribute to and level-up our creative process and culture
- Participate in our recruiting process to build a top-tier team
- Collaborate with our engineering team to ensure features well-executed are tested pre-launch
What You'll Bring:
- 5+ years of professional experience designing successful game systems and features
- A deep sense of what makes a fun and compelling game experience
- Solid knowledge, experience and skills with free-to-play, RPGs, game economies, and live/online game design
- Live product experience creating enhancements and optimizing existing features and systems to meet KPI goals
- Deep desire to learn and create success in the crypto/blockchain/gamefi space
- Extensive knowledge and recall of systems used in other games across the industry
- Strong desire to get your work in front of players as quickly as possible to learn what works and what needs to be improved
- Experience of a full start to launch dev cycle one or more games
- Board game design or significant experience as a DM
- Web3 experience (tokenomics, blockchain, crypto, NFT)
- Vision for innovation in NFT gaming
- Experience developing light sim or strategy games
Benefits and perks
- Fully-remote with flexible hours & location
- Top-tier medical insurance with 100% premium covered for both you and your partner (US-only)
- Generous remote-setup package with a brand new Mac or PC
- Paid parental leave
- Fun and exciting company retreats
- Flexible vacation policy
Have a quick question about the role? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get back to you within two days.
A final thought from our founder, Amitt, "Everyone is a player of games, and we believe that ideally starts with our team. We foster a diverse set of voices and want our team to represent the diversity of those who play our games. We believe that a wide range of perspectives will lead to a more creative and inclusive game culture. This is vital to our business—and it’s at the heart of what we do. Even if you’re new to this realm, we genuinely encourage you to apply. "