San Francisco, CA /
Legal & Compliance – Legal /
Who We Are
Prosper is built on a simple idea: connect people who want to borrow money with those that have money to invest. Through Prosper, borrowers get access to fixed and low-rate loans and investors in those loans can earn solid returns. Our mission is to help build financial well-being for our users. Since our launch in 2005 as the first peer-to-peer lending marketplace in the US, more than 1 million loans have been provided through the Prosper platform. We’ve helped people gain access to more than $17 billion in loans for everything from consolidating credit card debt, making home improvements, and even paying for costly medical expenses.
Backed by leading investors like Sequoia Capital, Francisco Partners, Institutional Venture Partners, and Credit Suisse NEXT Fund, our platform is developed and supported with pride in our downtown San Francisco and sunny Phoenix offices.
What We Need
As Corporate Counsel, you will assist the Assistant General Counsel in supporting Prosper’s day-to-day corporate and securities matters as well as advising members of other functional and business teams on legal issues. This attorney is able to anticipate and deliver on the needs of our innovative business, has the flexibility to simultaneously manage a wide range of projects and is comfortable working with cross-functional teams.
What You Will Do
- Assist with the preparation and review of ’33 Act and ’34 Act filings, including Forms 8-K, 10-Q and 10-K, and work with Finance team on such filings
- Work with other members of the Legal team to ensure compliance with US and state securities laws and regulations
- Review and negotiate commercial agreements, including MSAs, NDAs, and partnership agreements
- Support the Customer Experience team and other internal clients by providing advice on legal issues, summarizing and communicating legal and business requirements, and reviewing documents to ensure compliance with applicable laws as well as company policies and procedures
- Manage the successful delivery of services by outside counsel
What You Need to Have
- Juris Doctorate (JD) and a state bar member in good standing (California preferred)
- 3-4 years of experience in corporate and securities law, with at least two years at a top-tier law firm
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Good judgment and excellent interpersonal skills
- Highly organized, detail-oriented and a strong service orientation
- Business-focused mindset with a demonstrated ability to take ownership and resolve issues with minimal supervision
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and recognize and focus on critical issues
- Flexibility to prioritize, balance and respond to competing needs within the organization
A Few Things to Know About Us
We offer an excellent compensation and benefits plan for benefits-eligible employees, including incentive bonuses, stock options, company-paid health, dental, and vision insurance, paid vacation time, 401(k) with employer-match, fitness reimbursement, commuting reimbursement, and more!
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
California applicants: please click here to view our California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) Notice for Applicants, which describes your rights under the CCPA: https://www.prosper.com/plp/legal/privacy-notice-for-applicants/
At Prosper, we're looking for people with passion, integrity, and a hunger to learn. We encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your unique skill set and diverse perspective will stand out and set you apart from other candidates. Prosper thrives with people who think outside of the box and aren't afraid to challenge the status quo. We invite you to join us on our mission to advance financial well-being.
Prosper is committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Prosper will consider for employment qualified applicants who are non-US citizens and will provide green card sponsorship.