Business Systems Analyst
Birmingham, AL /
Information Technology (IT) – Business Systems /
We help protect our customers against life’s uncertainties. Regardless of where you work within the company, you’ll be helping provide protection and peace of mind when our customers need it most.
Whether it’s in accounting, claims, IT, investments, legal, marketing, sales, or another department, come be part of a company where you can accomplish your goals while contributing to our social mission of becoming America’s most protective insurance company.
We are seeking a Business Systems Analyst for our Birmingham, AL office. This role focuses on working with the Information Technology (IT) staff and Business Partners to implement new modifications or enhancements to our Policy Administrative systems.
The qualified candidate will be responsible for thorough analysis of complex information requirements, certifying changes made to our systems, developing and maintaining system values and settings, providing complex business consulting support to the IT staff and customers, and to influence others in IT and customer areas through teaching/sharing of specialized knowledge.
- Typically, 2-4 years of applicable work and/or technical experience
- Post-secondary degree in a technical or mathematical discipline - applicable work experience in either a technical field or insurance industry may be substituted
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel including pivot tables, lookups, and formulas is preferred. Must possess complex analytical and problem-solving skills
- Must be able to comprehend, analyze and interpret complex specifications and calculations
- Ability to quickly understand new systems and tools in a dynamic, fast paced environment
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of systems and software development concepts, practices and procedures. Experience with Agile methodologies is preferred
- Ability to plan, schedule and execute multiple concurrent activities
- Ability to effectively communicate both written and orally and the ability to interpret and communicate technical information to non-technical personnel and vice versa
- Must be self-motivated, able to work independently and willing to self-teach and take responsibility for ongoing professional development
- Ability to work effectively under tight deadline pressure
Primary Job Functions will include but are not limited to:
- IT Influence/Leadership: Represents the team in interdepartmental projects and corporate initiatives, consults with business areas regarding complex system-related issues and makes recommendations for better utilizing the available technology.
- Project Management: Documents complex project phases, provides regular status updates and creates effective release/implementation plans. Manages assigned projects and tasks, including coordinating the efforts of others as needed. Provides documentation for audit purposes and to aid in transferring knowledge to other areas. Ability to effectively and professionally lead meetings. Possess presentation and negotiation skills with the ability to act with diplomacy in resolving conflict.
- Requirements Process: Using a structured approach, develops a comprehensive set of requirements or business models necessary to create the desired sustainable “to be” business environment. Translates end-user requirements into workflow and procedural changes and specifications for complex system modifications as appropriate.
- Application configuration: Creates, maintains and coordinates updates to critical system data elements and configurable applications, including rules, values, tables and output with little or no development resource assistance. Understand complex data structure and database schemas.
- Quality Assurance/Testing: Ensures system results satisfy customer requirements using a variety of testing methodologies. Actively participates in reviews of code, specifications, requirements, etc. to develop, document and implement repeatable test plans. Proactively diagnoses problems through research and analysis.
- Production Support: Diagnoses and manages complex software defects and system anomalies to a successful resolution. Works with software developers to resolve problems and provide detailed diagnostic information. Consults with end-users concerning corrective actions as needed in a calm and professional manner.
- Training: Prepares end-user procedures and manuals and provides end-user training for new or changed system functionality. Motivates fellow team members through knowledge sharing and mentoring.
At Protective, we are committed to providing an inclusive culture where all employees fully contribute and thrive. We have always been a values-driven culture. Doing the right thing and serving people are part of our DNA, and we believe that valuing and embracing different backgrounds and perspectives is what makes us unique.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to being inclusive and attracting, retaining, and growing the talents of a diverse and inclusive workforce.