Mainframe Software Developer Trainee
Birmingham, AL /
Information Technology (IT) – Business Systems /
We help protect our customers against life’s uncertainties. Regardless of where you work within the company, you’ll be helping provide protection and peace of mind when our customers need it most.
Whether it’s in accounting, claims, IT, investments, legal, marketing, sales, or another department, come be part of a company where you can accomplish your goals while contributing to our social mission of becoming America’s most protective insurance company.
The Software Developer is responsible for designing, coding, testing, implementing, maintaining, and supporting software applications. Diagnoses, isolates and de-bugs software problems and provides resolution. Prepares and modifies technical documentation.
Primary Job Functions:
- Analysis and Design. Researches, compiles, and evaluates information used in the development and maintenance of applications and processes to satisfy business needs.
- Programming and Testing. Constructs, modifies, and application changes.
- Problem determination and resolution. Diagnoses problems; determines and implements quality solutions in a timely fashion. This covers all areas of production support and daily problem research and resolution. Production incidents need prompt attention and correction to reduce impact on the business area.
- Documentation. Provides thorough and complete documentation for all programming changes and enhancements. Documentation must meet corporate standards.
- Business Knowledge and Interaction: Develops an understanding of the business needs of the customer and provides quality customer support by providing appropriate communication, anticipating customer needs and/or problems, and understanding the broad impact of changes on all customer processes. Provides appropriate solutions and proactively suggests process improvements.
Work Experience, Education, Certification / Training Required:
- Typically, 2+ years of applicable work and/or technical experience in languages/environments considered important to the company. Minimum 1 year Assembler programming experience.
- Typically, post-secondary degree, preferably in Management Information Services or Computer Science with courses in mainframe computing. Education may substitute for work and/or technical experience.
- Technical certifications are desirable and may substitute for work and/or technical experience. (Mainframe computing, etc).
At Protective, we are committed to providing an inclusive culture where all employees fully contribute and thrive. We have always been a values-driven culture. Doing the right thing and serving people are part of our DNA, and we believe that valuing and embracing different backgrounds and perspectives is what makes us unique.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to being inclusive and attracting, retaining, and growing the talents of a diverse and inclusive workforce.