Toronto, Ontario /
At ProteinQure, we are building a computational platform for design of protein therapeutics. Our mission is to help to create a world where drugs are engineered, not discovered. We work on treatments for cancer, diabetes, asthma, and cardiovascular diseases, among others, and partner with industry leaders in drug discovery to generate novel therapeutics outside of the conventional chemical space.
Our technology combines computational biophysical models with statistical and machine learning approaches to enable us to search across vast spaces of protein therapeutics. We build and deploy these computational modules using a scalable cloud computing infrastructure and complement their predictions with results from wet lab experiments. We utilize advanced computing architectures based on high-performance GPUs, TPUs and investigate novel methodologies in biophysical modelling and quantum computing.
ProteinQure is a seed-stage company and has raised its seed round of USD $4M led by top Silicon Valley and Canadian investors.
We’re looking for a Principal Scientist to join our our wet lab experimental team in Toronto (Canada). You should think about joining us if you want to employ state-of-the-art techniques for leading our pre-clinical program. Working with our diverse multi-disciplinary team, you will drive strategic direction for end-to-end program prosecution and in house assays. Our lab is in downtown Toronto (MaRS Discovery District) and this will be a laboratory/office role.
- Responsible and accountable for the oversight and strategic leadership of internal pre-clinical program execution.
- Leads and directs multi-disciplinary teams in key program planning/resourcing and coordinating execution elements including program level overviews, issue escalation/mitigations and program level cross functional meetings.
- Drives strategic direction for end-to-end program prosecution in pre-clinical pipeline, including early discovery, compound screening, hit-to-lead identification, binding and functional assays and in vivo proof-of-concept.
- Identify, coordinate and manage interactions with diverse CROs to execute the necessary assays in a timely fashion to bring the project to success.
- Develop in-house assays with wetlab team, including robust assay development and rigorous testing with controls.
- PhD with 4+ years’ industry experience or relevant career experience.
- Pharmaceutical and/or pre-clinical drug development experience.
- Excellent oral (including presentation) and written communication, project management, and computer/database management skills.
Our hiring process consists of three steps:
• Introductory call (30 min) - We want to get to know you, understand your motivations and needs. This is a chance to ask questions about the company!
• On-site interview (3 hours) - We try to be flexible on the timing of the on-site. If you are not from Toronto area, we’ll cover the travel and accommodation expenses.
We will give you our decision within 5 business days of the on-site interview. For the international candidates, we sponsor visas and help with relocation.
Benefits at ProteinQure include medical, dental and vision insurance and health spending account, which you can use on gym memberships or massages. We believe in enabling our employees to be their most productive selves - from extremely ergonomic chairs to standing desks and powerful, portable laptops. Employees are encouraged to buy (and get a refund for) equipment, books, or whatever tools that would make their work life easier.
The office is situated in downtown Toronto, with plenty of great restaurants nearby. Toronto is a great cultural hub (film festivals, theatres, museums and concerts) and supports active lifestyle (amateur sports leagues, waterfront beaches, surfing or even (ice) climbing). Canadian nature offers options for calming retreats and the country is very diverse, welcoming and open to newcomers.
The team composition is roughly 40% software engineers and data scientists, 40% computational biologists, medicinal chemists (including experimentalists performing experiments in wet lab) and 20% business and administration.
Celebration of diversity of all forms is embedded in our culture. Great work is the result of diverse thinking and experiences and we have a workplace where those differences can thrive. Over two thirds of the team was born outside of Canada.
Collaborative learning is at heart of what we do at ProteinQure - we have weekly lunch and learns (often with guest lecturers from outside of the company), attend (and organize!) meetups and hackathons and educate each other about best practices. We support our employees and sponsor attendance to conferences or professional events (up to $3000 a year).
Ownership of work is fundamental to way we operate. People will encourage you to problem solve and figure out how to best deliver results. You’re completely free to take vacation (and run errands) as long as you are responsible and performing. The last thing we want to do is micromanage our team. We try empower our employees, trust them to deliver and hold them accountable.