Senior Data Engineer
TechOps – Engineering
At Protenus, we are adding to our Data Engineering team by adding experienced data and software engineers with Health IT experience (or experience in comparable domains where abuse and fraud is prevalent). This team has an incredible engineering challenge: integrate a variety of electronic health records into our data flow while continuously improving the core Protenus platform so we can support these systems at scale. As the foundation of our AI and visualization products, innovations by this team directly impact the extensibility of our platform, the capabilities of our machine learning, and success in our mission.
The Senior Data Engineer role is a challenging combination of software development, data mapping & modeling, relational and NoSQL database engineering in a big-data context. You’ll have an opportunity to contribute your unique expertise while simultaneously learning from others. In addition to making meaningful contributions and improving your engineering skills, you will also receive unprecedented exposure to all aspects of our business. You will get to see how your contributions impact healthcare leaders across the country, helping them make decisions about how to better protect their data, their patients, and their institutions.
- More than five years of full-time software development experience in a JVM language, (Java, Scala, Kotlin, Groovy, etc.)
- Full-time experience in a in data-centric software engineering or data engineering role. You have a grasp of good ETL practices, how to craft a relational data model, with hands-on experience setting up and administering a database solution or platform (ex: MySQL, Oracle, Postgres, MongoDB, various Hadoop distributions, etc).
- Skilled with query languages: SQL, MongoDB query language, or Spark SQL
- Skilled with data transfer & serialization formats: XML, JSON, Avro, or simple formats (CSV, TSV)
- Demonstrated experience working in an Agile (Scrum) setting using issue management and code review tools. You can work well with other engineers, collaborate on designs, and look at your work objectively as part of a greater whole.
- Enthusiasm for building high quality software using modern technologies and deploying containerized applications to the cloud (AWS).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or similar discipline.
- Health IT domain experience: EHRs (Epic, Meditech, Cerner, McKesson, Allscripts, McKesson), HL7/FHIR/CCDA, HIPAA & relevant security protocols. The more depth here the better.
- Experience working with large data volumes (TB scale and up)
- Experience supporting or implementing behavioral analytics (security threats, fraud & abuse, bad actor identification, anomaly detection, user classification, prediction, etc.)
- Development experience with Scala, Akka, or Spark.
- Data Engineering experience with MongoDB, MySQL, Oracle or SQL Server, and an intellectual curiosity about other platforms.
We are offering experienced individuals an opportunity to join a highly skilled & growing product engineering team. You’ll be able to pitch your own ideas and preferred tools, then use your creative/engineering talent to make the vision a reality. As a growing company with a strong team environment, we hold ourselves and each other to the highest standards while doing our best to support one another in the office and online across teams. We respect a "life-first" vision and offer unparalleled flexibility when taking care of what really matters.
The Protenus healthcare compliance analytics platform uses artificial intelligence to audit every access to patient records for the nation’s leading health systems. Providing healthcare leaders full insight into how health data is being used, and alerting privacy, security and compliance teams to inappropriate activity, Protenus helps our partner hospitals make decisions about how to better protect their data, their patients, and their institutions. This year, Protenus was named one of The Best Places to Work in Healthcare by Modern Healthcare and one of the Best Places to Work in Baltimore by the Baltimore Business Journal.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, Protenus is committed to inclusion and diversity in the workforce. All qualified candidates will be considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, marital or family status, protected veteran status, disability, or religion.