Community Engineer, libp2p
Remote - libp2p
Projects – Engineering
The libp2p Project (https://libp2p.io/) seeks an extraordinary Community Engineer to help lay the foundation for a more resilient, more secure, decentralized version of the web by leading community efforts for libp2p.
Community Engineering at Protocol Labs and libp2p
Engineering at Protocol Labs is not just about writing world-class code. We create software systems that tackle significant challenges. In re-decentralizing the web, we work on hundreds of open source projects pursuing everything from research to end-user products. Community Engineering at Protocol Labs is focused on growing and nurturing the community around those projects and the broader decentralized web movement. Community engineers at Protocol Labs engage both with the technical pieces that make up our systems, and the communities that make them run!
This role is focused on the libp2 Project (https://libp2p.io), a peer to peer decentralized network stack that can form the basis for the next generation of decentralized, networked applications. libp2p already has significant adoption from a variety of downstream projects, ranging from decentralized video to blockchains to browser-based dapps. As the lead Community Engineer for libp2p, you will be in charge of helping introduce new open source projects to libp2p and clearing hurdles for them to adopt the libp2p stack for the networking layer of their system. libp2p is by design highly versatile and suitable for many use cases, ranging from mobile applications to desktop to browser-based apps.
As a Community Engineer at Protocol Labs you will…
- Onboard new contributors and users of libp2p.
- Affect the lives of countless people you help bring into this community.
- Work directly with Project Engineers to grow the community around the libp2p project.
- Help create a friendly and supportive environment on IRC and other project forums.
- Flag issues easily tackled by new contributors to help them join the community.
- Ensure project documentation for APIs and governance stay in line with project practices.
- Identify and implement bots and automation, augmenting our interactions with the community.
- Build new dashboards and micro-sites.
You may be a fit for this role if you have...
- Experience building community in open source projects.
- Experience developing Open Source Software.
- Familiarity with peer-to-peer technologies.
- A level of comfort speaking at conferences and developer summits.
- Strong written communication skills in short form, medium form, and long form.
- Experience with Go, JS and/or Rust.
- Experience running events.
- Experience with peer-to-peer networking, distributed hash tables, peer routing and other concepts.
What is libp2p?
The libp2p Project (https://libp2p.io) is an open source (MIT/Apache licensed) decentralized networking stack. It provides all the basic plumbing needed to build a peer-to-peer application: peer discovery, content routing, publish/subscribe messaging, a distributed hash table (DHT) for scalable record storage, advanced cryptography to secure and authenticate connections, stream multiplexing, and other features. This abundance of features is libp2p’s key strength. Many of our downstream users started out trying to write their own peer-to-peer networking layer and then, upon discovering how complex it is, decide to adopt libp2p instead. With Go, JS, Rust, Java, Python and NIM implementations, the libp2p framework is available to a wide range of developers targeting everything from SoC’s to browser-based applications.
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.