Project Operator, IPFS
Remote - IPFS
Projects – Project Management
Support the reference implementation of a resilient, open, and upgradeable network for humanity’s information. This Project Operator will sit at the IPFS project level, identifying and executing opportunities for the project to improve along all dimensions. They will working closely with the project leads to coordinate cross-functionally across the entire IPFS team, including the project managers, developers, business development, and more to ensure the execution of IPFS’s project goals.
IPFS is one of the most promising projects of Web 3.0. Combining distributed systems research with large-scale real-world application, IPFS has brought content-addressed, peer-to-peer applications to millions of monthly active users. If successful, IPFS will form a new foundation for a distributed web of knowledge and computation for humans everywhere -- 🌎 - 🚀 - 🌖.
Project Operations at Protocol Labs
This isn’t an ordinary Project Operations position. We are a distributed organization of over 130 collaborators (worldwide), split across 15 countries and with no regular offices. Protocol Labs currently consists of 6 Open Source Projects, which are maintained and developed by internal teams (between 2 and 40 people), as well as large ecosystems of contributors.
As a Project Operator, you will tackle some of IPFS’s highest priority initiatives using your flexible problem solving abilities. You’ll be responsible for identifying the project’s most important problems, structuring them, and collaborating with cross-functional teams to come to a solution. Day-to-day, you’ll be taking on these problems using a wide-ranging toolkit developed from your previous experiences, from data analysis and speaking with industry experts to market segmentation and sizing, providing the IPFS team with the versatility and creative thinking it needs to accelerate reaching its goals. You’ll also help create processes and tools that enable Protocol Labs’s unique culture of innovation, collaboration, and performance in the IPFS team.
In Project Operations at Protocol Labs, you might...
- Lead the solutioning of high value / high context problems; these projects will generally be around decision support, ecosystem growth, and project governance
- Build and analyze datasets for decision support, market describing, sizing and segmentation
- Develop Protocol Labs’s expertise in understanding value created and value harnessed in open source software
- Drive domain expertise in key areas of Project Operations support by codifying best practices and creating scalable playbooks for future projects / Project Operations to follow
- Create and maintain complex plans using various project management tools, helping initiatives stay on track to meet their quarterly or annual targets
- Assist in project reorganization and team management
- Set and track metrics / KPIs for various efforts across IPFS
- Help manage IPFS’s internal and external communications programs
- Track and advise on interdependencies between IPFS working groups
- Help run communications for our network of external experts
- And much more!
You may be a fit for this role if you...
- You get a kick out of aligning first principle thinking and data insights to achieve great results
- Handle both complexity and ambiguity well
- Familiarity and passion for open source, and distributed computing
- Have experience running your own startup or high-growth organization, or have experience in management consulting or corporate strategy
- Pride yourself in being a self-starter, thriving even without much direction
- Deep experience coordinating work across teams with different goals
- A rigorous, process-driven work style backed by an ability to communicate effectively
- Strong analytical, problem solving and interpersonal skills
- Experience with open source communities / projects
- Experience with distributed orgs
- Background in software engineering
- Experience at a top tier management consulting firm or MBA program
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.