Project Operator, IPFS
Remote - IPFS /
Projects – Operations /
We seek a Project Operator who will help us identify, problem solve, and create solutions for our most critical open problems!
As a Project Operator (a combination of startup operator, program manager, and business development specialist), you will work with IPFS project leadership to identify and execute on opportunities to improve all aspects of project operations and success. You will work closely with engineering leads, cross-functional stakeholders, and individual experts to break down complex situations and co-create actionable solutions.
IPFS is one of the most promising projects of Web 3.0. Combining distributed systems research with large-scale real-world application, IPFS has brought content-addressed, peer-to-peer applications to millions of monthly active users. If successful, IPFS will form a new foundation for a distributed web of knowledge and computation for humans everywhere -- 🌎 - 🚀 - 🌖.
Project Operations at Protocol Labs
This isn’t an ordinary operations position. We are a distributed organization of over 130 collaborators (worldwide), split across 15 countries and with no regular offices. Protocol Labs currently consists of 6 Open Source Projects, which are maintained and developed by internal teams (between 2 and 40 people), as well as large ecosystems of contributors.
As a Project Operator, you will tackle some of IPFS’s highest priority initiatives using your flexible problem solving abilities. You’ll be responsible for identifying the project’s most important problems, structuring them, and collaborating with cross-functional teams to come to a solution.
Day-to-day, you’ll support the project through cross-functional problem solving, highly-reliable project ownership, data analysis and research to answer open questions, and generally provide the IPFS team with the versatility and creative thinking it needs to reach its goals. You’ll also help create processes and tools that enable Protocol Labs’s unique culture of innovation, collaboration, and performance.
In Project Operations at Protocol Labs, you might...
- Create solutions for high value / high context problems; these projects will generally be around decision-making support, ecosystem growth, and project governance
- Build and analyze datasets for decision support, ecosystem, sizing, segmentation, and lead generation
- Develop Protocol Labs’s expertise in understanding value created and value harnessed in open source software
- Drive domain expertise in key areas of Project Operations by codifying best practices and creating scalable playbooks for future projects / Project Operations to follow
- Create and maintain complex plans using various project management tools, helping initiatives stay on track to meet their quarterly or annual targets
- Assist in maximizing team productivity through scaled leadership practices, project reorganization, and team management
- Set and track metrics / KPIs for various efforts across IPFS
- Help manage IPFS’s internal and external communications programs
- Track and advise on interdependencies between IPFS working groups, and with other teams across Protocol Labs
- Help run communications for our network of external experts
- And much more!
You may be a fit for this role if you...
- Get a kick out of aligning first principle thinking and data insights to achieve great results
- Handle both complexity and ambiguity well
- Have familiarity and passion for open source, and distributed computing
- Have experience running your own startup or high-growth organization, or have experience in management consulting or product strategy
- Pride yourself in being a self-starter and thrive without much direction
- Have deep experience coordinating work across teams with different goals
- Practice a rigorous, process-driven work style backed by an ability to communicate effectively
- Have strong analytical, problem solving and interpersonal skills
- Experience with open source communities / projects
- Experience with distributed organizations or teams
- Background in software engineering or product management
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.