Head of Communications
Operations – Communications
We are searching for a strategic and passionate communications expert to help Protocol Labs lead the industry in telling the story of the emerging decentralized web.
We believe the internet is humanity’s most important technology, and are building the tools and protocols to improve it. Protocol Labs is a distributed organization of more than 100 collaborators (worldwide), split across 15 countries with no regular offices. We have a unique story to tell.
We're looking for an experienced and entrepreneurial team leader who can help us develop and execute a comprehensive communications strategy aimed both at promoting the exciting development happening within Protocol Labs and at educating the public about the future of the internet, open source technologies, and the decentralized web.
Communications at Protocol Labs
If you’ve followed media narratives around blockchain, Web 3.0, and the open source movement more generally, you’ve probably noticed some gaps. We’d like you to help us fill those gaps.
Our communications team will advance the Protocol Labs mission by working with community members and users to tell the success stories of our most compelling products. We plan to develop and promote top quality content to educate the public, web developers, regulators, and industry leaders about the importance and impact of open source projects and the decentralized web. By doing this, you will help us to develop a unique perspective that clearly represents Protocol Lab’s mission. We’re building the core technologies for future decentralized internet and we want the world to know why it matters. Doing this effectively will require a strong ability to distill the details of these new and complicated technologies in a way that can be digested by relatively non-technical audiences.
As our Head of Communications, you will have the privilege (and challenge) of building out a stellar communications team composed of internal experts and new hires. We expect the team to deftly navigate the needs of dual audiences: a web developer community in need of technical education and a broader community of industry leaders, regulators, and the general public best served by a focus on thought leadership. This leadership role may appeal both to current and former editors, journalists, and academics, as well as to specialists in technical documentation and developer advocacy. We’re looking for someone who can hit the ground running and who can be a center of gravity for our shared mission of promoting technologies that will change the way we engage with the internet.
As Head of Communications at Protocol Labs, you will…
- Create and deploy an external communications strategy that increases awareness of Protocol Labs and the open source decentralized web movement more broadly
- Build a team of internal and external partners to widely disseminate the story of our brand, major product developments, and key initiatives to drive a consistent narrative around Protocol Labs and our products
- Embed with product groups to inform and develop media strategy centered around product launches and other internal timelines
- Work with product groups and community managers to define and execute a strategy for creating and improving newsletters, documentation, blog posts, articles, media content, and collateral directed specifically to project partners and OSS developers
- Draft and implement contingency plans to facilitate rapid and comprehensive responses to any issues affecting product development and launch
- Manage our major communications channels, including Twitter, Facebook, etc.
- Develop an internal communications strategy to effectively disseminate information about important developments to the team members who need it most
- Become a thought leader in the most exciting and dynamic industry on the planet
You may be a fit for this role if you have some of the following...
- A proven record of stellar team leadership and strategic thinking
- 5+ years of experience as an editor, journalist, technical writer, or public relations specialist
- Exceptional writing skills with a clear voice and unwavering attention to detail
- Tons of initiative and an ability to absorb and distill new information quickly
- Experience building and promoting narratives within highly technical industries
- A track record of generating and promoting widespread media coverage in technical, business, and consumer-facing publications
- Previous experience meeting the unique needs of a technically-minded open source development community
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently and effectively in a fast-paced, decentralized environment
- Sound judgment and ability to act decisively by responding strategically to developments in a highly dynamic and heavily scrutinized industry
- An entrepreneurial approach and passion for the fundamental challenges posed by building disruptive technologies
- Experience with fully remote, distributed organizations
- Familiarity and passion for distributed technologies and team tooling
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.