Tech Lead, Distributed Systems Test Infrastructure
Projects – Engineering
We seek an outstanding technical lead for our distributed systems test infrastructure to help lay the foundation for a more resilient, more secure, decentralized version of the web.
Engineering at Protocol Labs
Engineering at Protocol Labs is not just about writing world-class code. We create software systems that tackle significant challenges. We aim to solve those challenges with new technology breakthroughs and great user experience design. We believe in an open-source approach to creation. We strike a balance between pragmatism, deeply informed protocol design, and strict application of strong engineering principles. All of this happens in an environment defined by curiosity, passion, and a love for open source.
As our Distributed Systems Test Infrastructure Tech Lead you will…
- Develop tools and infrastructure for testing distributed networks of tens to hundreds of thousands of nodes.
- Integrate the distributed test infrastructure into existing CI/CD used by IPFS and Libp2p
- Enable cross-functional product and project teams to serve their own testing needs
- Develop metrics, reporting frameworks, and investigation best practices to ensure the ipfs and libp2p networks have the data and tools to ensure they are delivering great quality of service
You may be a fit for this role if you have…
- Knowledge of core networking protocols (TCP, UDP, DNS, TLS, HTTP)
- Experience automating the testing of distributed systems at scale (e.g. microservices, distributed applications, etc.)
- Experience designing and deploying infrastructure for large software projects
- Deep understanding of various methods of testing distributed software: benchmarking, interoperability, canary deployments, etc.
- Knowledge or experience in what it takes to simulate network topologies and conditions at scale.
- Understanding of the different failure modes and regressions of distributed systems, and debugging best practices for each.
- Experience leading and designing a CI/CD pipeline, and implementing them within a software engineering practice.
- Experience with container and cluster management tools (Nomad, Kubernetes, Docker)
- Experience leading technical design and driving adoption of tools and process across teams of software engineers
- Experience leading a team of engineers to deliver a project end-to-end, helping facilitate and organize the work and priorities of its members
- A hands-on, playful, proactive approach to your work
- Experience contributing to or leading open source projects
- Experience designing test infrastructure for large open source software projects like web browsers, operating systems
- Published about your work (code, presentations, papers, blog, etc)
- \Excellent written and verbal communication skills
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.