Engineering Manager, IPFS
Remote - IPFS /
Projects – Engineering /
We seek a dedicated engineering manager to empower and grow the engineering teams building the core reference implementations of IPFS.
IPFS is one of the most promising projects of Web 3.0. Combining distributed systems research with large-scale real-world application, IPFS has brought content-addressed, peer-to-peer applications to millions of monthly active users. If successful, IPFS will form a new foundation for a distributed web of knowledge and computation for humans everywhere -- 🌎 - 🚀 - 🌖.
The IPFS project is seeking an experienced engineering manager to support our software engineering teams and help grow our engineering practice & execution. The role will work closely with team technical leads and product managers, with a focus on developing engineering talent, stewarding team communication & OSS maintainership, and streamlining technical processes like technical design, continuous integration/deployment, testing frameworks, devops, and incident management. Your success will be felt in the happiness, productivity, and impact of the core IPFS development teams.
Engineering Management at Protocol Labs
Engineering management is a nascent discipline at Protocol Labs. Our open source and globally distributed nature presents unique challenges and opportunities not found in traditional engineering management. Protocol Labs works at the intersection of many exciting fields (software engineering, cryptography, networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open source, remote-first work). Engineering managers have the challenging and exciting task of taking the best from these cultures to support and empower engineering teams to deliver complex internet-scale systems in an environment defined by curiosity, passion, and a love for open source.
As Engineering Manager at Protocol Labs you will…
- Magnify the impact of multiple teams of software engineers and open source contributors in their implementation of complex, distributed systems and protocols
- Grow engineers’ skills, experience and confidence through regular 1:1s, coaching, actionable feedback, work and peer alignment, and career advocacy
- Lead, improve, and steward engineering practices (technical design, implementation, release, and iteration) for our working groups to minimize developer friction and blockages
- Communicate regularly with stakeholders and adjacent teams to build a shared understanding and accommodation of competing priorities
- Empower engineers to solve problems, fostering a balance of velocity and rigour through scalable, asynchronous decision-making practices
- Maintain and strengthen a team and community culture of growth, openness, trust, rigour, humility, mutual support, and psychological safety.
- Advocate for and enhance PL’s asynchronous, autonomous, and distributed working culture
- Lead the process of recruiting great engineers for your project, in collaboration with PL’s recruiting team
- Support and guide other people-managers at Protocol Labs as a member of PL’s young engineering management discipline
You may be a fit for this role if you have...
- Demonstrable success as an engineering lead/manager fostering highly-functional, healthy, inclusive and collaborative teams
- Technical credibility through lengthy software engineering experience with back-end and distributed systems & infrastructure
- A strong desire for and history of contributions to open source projects and communities
- Experience working with and/or managing geographically distributed teams
- Actively coached, mentored and grown team members in their careers
- Ability to thrive with a high level of self-direction, autonomy and responsibility
- A track record of recruiting and retaining great people to your teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An excitement for collaborating with people across Protocol Labs towards our shared mission
- You have experience with or deep knowledge of globally distributed systems, cryptography, blockchain or other related domains
- Demonstrable open source community curation and leadership experience
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.