Startup Systems Engineer
Operations – Mission Operations
We’re looking for a driven individual to join the Mission Operations team to focus on building internal tools and services and respond to internal support requests. But that’s just where it starts.
Mission Operations at Protocol Labs
We’re the enablement core of Protocol Labs and no request is too big, small, or soon for us to handle. There is no ordinary day here -- though many of us have ongoing endeavors (both technical and non) we all pitch in regularly across several other teams as we’re needed. A significant measure of our success is with both the time we save everyone at the company and the happiness and satisfaction we enable. A typical day might consist of fielding internal IT support requests, building and managing an internal webapp, or jetting around the world to support an event for one of our open source communities.
Protocol Labs sits at the intersection of many exciting fields (cryptography, blockchain backed networks, distributed systems) and cultures (startups, research, open source, distributed work). The Mission Ops team works hard to keep the company productive and focused on what really matters. All of this happens in an environment defined by curiosity, passion, and a love for open source.
Startup Systems Engineer you will...
- Architect, build, and support internal web-applications and infrastructure
- Manage traditional IT support requests including onboarding and offboarding employees to our internal tools and services
- Optimize our team’s current tools so we can interact and support our organization with ludicrous speed
- Research new internal tools and services that make us more efficient. No existing solution you can find? Build the solution we need!
- Proactively solicit our many teams to understand their productivity pain points
- Analyze the impact of new tools and services on our infrastructure
- ‘Roll up your sleeves’ often and jump in to support other teams with tasks such as event planning, travel logistics, even possibly some product management and external customer relations.
You may be a fit for this role if you have...
- Significant full-stack web engineering experience
- A relentless, yet selfless, drive for excellence
- Passion for supporting internal teams and projects
- A collaborative mindset
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Extraordinary communication, teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Superb computer skills including proficiency with the following platforms: Google Application Suite (Docs, Drive, Groups, Admin), Slack, Github
- An impeccable record of integrity and trust
- DevOps, infrastructure, and or/ sysadmin experience
- Previous experience handling IT and/or customer support at a growing startup
- Security and penetration testing experience (or interest!)
- Knowledge or interest in distributed systems, distributed web, and blockchains
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.