Sr. Software Engineer, IPFS
Remote - IPFS /
Projects – Engineering /
Build the reference implementation of a resilient, open, and upgradeable network for humanity’s information.
We are hiring senior software engineers/leaders to work on the reference implementation of the InterPlanetary File System (IPFS).
IPFS is one of the most promising projects of Web 3.0. Combining distributed systems research with large-scale real-world application, IPFS has brought content-addressed, peer-to-peer applications to millions of monthly active users. If successful, IPFS will form a new foundation for a distributed web of knowledge and computation for humans everywhere -- 🌎 - 🚀 - 🌖.
Many significant technical challenges remain as we expand the IPFS network and functionality to support new scaling demands. We're seeking senior engineers experienced in distributed systems design and implementation to join our full-time open-source team. We particularly value experience independently designing and implementing significant components of complex systems, leading strong open source communities, contributing to projects involving protocol design or globally distributed systems, and demonstrating execution focus and discipline to carry such projects to completion.
Distributed Systems Engineering at Protocol Labs
Distributed systems engineering lies at the center of many projects at Protocol Labs. With IPFS, libp2p, Filecoin and other related projects we are laying the foundation for a more resilient, secure, distributed version of the web. This requires rigorous engineering from protocol design through all the phases of implementation. We strike a balance between pragmatism (put it on a ship ⛴), deeply informed protocol design, and strict application of strong engineering principles. All of this happens in an environment defined by curiosity, passion, and a love for open source.
As a Senior Software Engineer with IPFS you might…
- Design and implement significant components of the Go-IPFS open source reference implementation
- Develop solutions to hard problems in low-trust distributed systems
- Integrate research results and demonstrations into working, scalable programs and systems
- Contribute to protocol design and specification efforts
- Lead and develop more junior engineers, and provide guidance and review for open source contributors around the world
You may be a fit for this role if you have…
- Significant experience designing and building distributed infrastructure or systems
- A strong technical design ability informed by broad experience across multiple domains/specialties
- A solid understanding of distributed systems principles and applications
- A keen awareness of teamwork, process, and patterns of successful collaboration
Highly valued bonus experience includes:
- Open source community curation and leadership
- Decentralized building blocks such as DHTs, p2p networking, UNIX file systems, etc.
- Large-scale systems (especially networking, performance, storage, or reliability engineering)
- Extensive Go programming
- Security engineering and/or cryptography principles and practices
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.