Research Scientist, ResNetLab
Remote - Research Development /
Research Development /
Seeking an experienced Research Scientist to lead the design and implementation of systems that rethink and improve the modern networking stack and help us smoothly distribute systems that no one has ever distributed before!
Research at Protocol Labs
This isn't an ordinary Research Scientist position. We are driven by both a hunger to learn and a need to work toward solving important problems. Our research scientists are granted the freedom to develop their knowledge by working on novel applications and the responsibility to contribute those skills toward advancing the flagship projects of Protocol Labs. You’ll feel at home working with us if your knowledge and optimism enables you to name a few unusual possible approaches when you’re first presented with a problem that people often consider intractable.
We understand that networks are more than the sum of their parts. We share a conviction that systems should be decentralized, in spite of inherent difficulties in doing so. We believe that the internet is as important as it is fragile and novel improvements in robustness, resource management and allocation efficiency, fault tolerance, consensus, security, performance, and availability are required to protect and improve it. We built libp2p because we thought IPFS should include a better way of sending data between peers. Now we’re improving our libraries and expanding the scope. As Filecoin grows, we seek a specialist who can help make the networking stack on which it relies as efficient, robust, and secure as possible.
We seek researchers who can discover, conceive, incorporate, and implement novel distributed networks and decentralized systems.
As Research Scientist at Protocol Labs you will…
- Participate in cutting-edge research in computer networks and distributed systems.
- Develop novel systems and protocols, learning from existing ones.
- Study potential improvements or new additions to systems like IPFS, libp2p, and Filecoin.
- Work with the development team on turning research into implementations.
- Quantify performance, security, and other properties of existing and proposed systems; suggest improvements based on the data.
You may be a fit for this role if you have...
- MS or PhD degree in Computer Science, Electrical & Computer Engineering, or related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Ability to analyze, criticize, and improve the design of complex computer network systems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience contributing to research communities and/or efforts, including publishing conference papers.
Bonus Points If...
- You have a record of demonstrating state-of-the-art innovation in distributed systems with a proven publication record or project history. (Potentially including but not limited to distributed data structures, novel network architectures and protocols, consensus protocols, peer-to-peer connectivity, distributed execution, distributed file systems, network optimization, graph traversals, and dynamic network analysis.)
- You’re comfortable digging through new academic literature on graph theory or IETF RFCs for inspiration while problem-solving.
- You believe that you don’t really understand something until you can explain it to a six-year-old, and your experience mentoring or writing technical explainers or blog posts demonstrates that you enjoy testing your understanding against this metric.
- You’ve demonstrated technical project management skills and the ability to design and execute on a research agenda.
- You have experience setting up and managing research collaborations or contractors.
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.