Research Project Manager
Research – Filecoin
Seeking a project manager to assist Filecoin research in organizing its efforts, including setting goals, prioritizing endeavors, and managing collaborations with external labs.
Research at Protocol Labs
Support research initiatives in and out of Protocol Labs across all fields crafting the computer networks of tomorrow. As a Project Manager on the Filecoin research team at Protocol Labs, you will provide direction and intent to our ongoing research efforts. You leverage your deep technical background to understand research problems at all scales, ranging from physical/mathematical possibility to economic feasibility and user concerns. Your prior research experience provides context for working with internal researchers and organizing collaborations with external researchers.
We’re not an ordinary Research Lab. We’re working hard to build the core protocols of the decentralized web pursuant to our vision for the future of the Internet and Filecoin is at the heart of this mission. As part of the Filecoin research team, you’ll be driving outcomes on a large-scale production system. Our research team is granted both the freedom to develop knowledge by working on novel directions, and a responsibility to contribute those skills toward advancing knowledge in the space. You’ll feel at home working with us if your knowledge, creativity and deep pragmaticism enable you to craft creative solutions working around evolving needs.
You will make a phenomenal Research Program Manager if...
- You care as deeply about research as you do driving efficiency.
- You are familiar with computer systems and how research gets done but have an interest in product development and short-term impact.
- You want to help drive fundamental research to adoption in real world applications.
- You’re excited by both project management and research.
As Research Program Manager at Protocol Labs you will…
- Help prioritize and coordinate Filecoin research work across internal research working groups (consensus, proofs, storage market, etc.) as well as with other teams (development, product).
- Coordinate with teammates across Protocol Labs’ Research, Legal and Finance teams to help set budgets and goals for major Filecoin research initiatives.
- Assist in managing external relationships with academic collaborators and research contributors.
- Manage Filecoin Research presence at leading research conferences, workshops and meetups.
- Shape Filecoin’s presence in the research community, including by driving publication work internally.
You may be a fit for this role if you have...
- A deep interest in and keen understanding of some of the major trade-offs in building large-scale distributed systems.
- Demonstrated expertise coordinating action between parties with orthogonal drives.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skillsExtensive experience balancing subtle trade-offs to drive relevant initiatives to completion, coordinating with large teams.
- An ability to think across research, product, and business considerations.
- Experience with Agile software development (especially Github, JIRA, or related tools).
- You understand how research labs are run and funded.
- Your cold email game is amazing.
- Your cat-herding skills match the piper of Hamelin’s.
- Professors know you as the office-hour ghoul.
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.