Sr. Data Engineer
Projects – Engineering /
We seek a Data Engineer who will design and build data products to empower the organization to make better decisions across all business, development, and research activities.
Protocol Labs is an open-source research, development, and deployment laboratory. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, lip2p, and many more. We aim to make human existence orders of magnitude better through technology.
We are a fully distributed company. Our team of more than 100 members works remotely and in the open to improve the internet — humanity's most important technology — as we explore new advances in computing and related fields.
As a Data Engineer for Protocol Labs you will be responsible for leading the design, development, implementation, and maintenance of data products to empower the organization to make data informed decisions and significantly improve productivity. You will also educate and support Protocol Labs in using these data products.
We will need to enhance near real-time and batch data stored for monitoring and analytical functions. We will build new pipelines to integrate data from various sources and develop ETLs.
As a Data Engineer, you will..
- Partner with project and enablement leaders to understand data needs and translate them into data models that are easy to understand and use.
- Set up, maintain, and scale our data infrastructure, including a data warehouse, pipelines, and visualization tools.
- Build, maintain, and scale our data ingestion engine, gathering data from our networks, products, communities, systems, and other sources.
- Build and enforce a pattern language across our data stack, ensuring that our definitions, taxonomy and tables are consistent, accurate, and well-understood.
- Develop and maintain documentation to enable Labbers to understand our data and conduct analysis that drives actionable insights. Support project and enablement teams with core analytics and dashboards that guide day-to-day operations, planning, and strategic decision making.
- Champion Protocol Labs’ strategy for data governance, privacy, security, quality, and retention, ensuring compliance with legal and business requirements.
- Build, lead, and elevate the data team.
You may be a fit for this role if you...
- Have 8+ years of software development experience with 4+ years of data engineering.
- Have demonstrated experience with data warehousing, data modeling, and building ETL pipelines .
- Are fluent in several programming languages such as Python, Scala, SQL, or HQL (Plus)
- Have experience in data processing using traditional and distributed systems (e.g., Hadoop, Spark, Airflow) or have experience in data processing using AWS solutions (e.g., AWS Glue, AWS Lambda, etc)
- Have strong interdisciplinary collaboration skills, with the ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Experience with and passion for open source software is a strong plus.
- Can guide the team to adopt and deploy new technologies and best practice designs.
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.