Project Manager, libp2p
Engineering – libp2p
Engineering at Protocol Labs
Engineering at Protocol Labs is not just about writing world-class code. We create software systems that tackle significant challenges. In re-decentralizing the web, we work on hundreds of open source projects pursuing everything from research to end-user products.
The Project Manager at libp2p will be focused on organizing development team efforts, guiding them toward common goals and milestones, along an agreed-to timeline. The Project Manager will coordination with the project leads and development team, helping synchronize libp2p goals and the development activity that builds the tools to realize these goals .
This role is focused on the libp2 Project (https://libp2p.io), a peer to peer decentralized network stack that can form the basis for the next generation of decentralized, networked applications. libp2p already has significant adoption from a variety of downstream projects, ranging from decentralized video to blockchains to browser-based dapps.
As the Project Manager for libp2p, you will be in charge of helping define and then guide development workflows, while clearing blockers that emerge as the development team executes the work. You’ll do this while interfacing with the project leads, to track, adjust and readjust the workflows, to maintain synchronization between the workflows and the project’s goals.
You will make a phenomenal Project Manager if...
- You are able to lead in a confident, yet non-aggressive way.
- You know when a discussion can be had asynchronously and when synchronous communication is needed.
- You are able to set and communicate clear priorities and adjust them as needed, with minimal disruption to the development workflows.
- You’re excited by both project management and research.
As a Project Manager at Protocol Labs you will…
- Define, coordinate and track development sprints.
- Synchronize sprint work with the larger project goals.
- Define an effective and flexible project management process, striking a beneficial balance between effectiveness and admin overhead.
- Use a project management tool, probably Zenhub, to organize and track sprint workflows.
- Keep the project management tool updated, establishing confidence in it as the single source of truth.
- Maintain a common and consistent understanding among the development team about current priorities.
- Identify blockers early and help clear them as needed.
- Do the above within an OKR framework.
You may be a fit for this role if you have...
- About 5 years of software development project management experience
- Experience coordinating software development workflows in transparent, publicly visible open source projects.
- Experience choosing, structuring, adapting and managing software development workflows within tools like Zenhub, or other similar tools like JIRA, Trello, Asana, etc., while the core development work gets done by the development team within Github.
- Experience coordinating remote teams of 10-12 full-time in-house developers, as well as part-time community developers, technical writers and community evangelists.
- Experience planning work using of OKR frameworks.
- Enough confidence in your ability and experience to define and track a flexible project management structure, that’s suitable for a team that places high value on autonomy.
- Experience with Go, JS and/or Rust.
- Experience with general communication networking concepts.
- Experience with peer-to-peer networking, distributed hash tables, peer routing and other concepts.
What is libp2p?
The libp2p Project (https://libp2p.io) is an open source (MIT/Apache licensed) decentralized networking stack. It provides all the basic plumbing needed to build a peer-to-peer application: peer discovery, content routing, publish/subscribe messaging, a distributed hash table (DHT) for scalable record storage, advanced cryptography to secure and authenticate connections, stream multiplexing, and other features. This abundance of features is libp2p’s key strength. Many of our downstream users started out trying to write their own peer-to-peer networking layer and then, upon discovering how complex it is, decide to adopt libp2p instead. With Go, JS, Rust, Java, Python and Nim implementations, the libp2p framework is available to a wide range of developers targeting everything from SoC’s to browser-based applications.
What’s it like to work at Protocol Labs?
Protocol Labs mission is to improve humanity’s most important technology, the Internet. We build protocols, systems, and tools to improve how it works. Today, we are focused on how we store, locate, and move information. Our projects include IPFS, Filecoin, libp2p, and more.
As a distributed team, we hire anywhere in the world, and at various levels of experience (entry, senior, staff). We look for people with unique perspectives and diverse backgrounds.
We have a great benefits package, including parental leave, contributions to your retirement, competitive pay, and unlimited time off. For U.S.-based employees, we also provide platinum-level health, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family.