Windows Lead Engineer
Windows Team /
We’re hiring a Lead Engineer to join our team working on PSPDFKit for Windows. Our Windows SDK is a hybrid product on Web technology for the UI and a C++ layer for parsing and rendering.
This position has direct involvement into the design, architecture and development of the Windows SDK. We believe in hiring smart people who are eager to solve problems and not just execute work they are given without thinking critically and understanding the root of the problem trying to be solved.
This is a remote position, we're looking for someone located 6 hours +/- of the UTC timezone.
- Take responsibility for delivering new features and bug fixes from the design phase to launch as part of a small, driven team.
- Work on all layers of our products: internal API, customer-facing API and end-user facing UI, as well as documentation and marketing content.
- Write readable and well-documented code with meaningful tests so that we can ship new releases often and without fear.
- Keep up to date with forthcoming technologies from Microsoft and C++. C++/WinRT. Submitting and following important issues and roadmaps, e.g. for WinUI 3.
- Be able to make changes in critical areas of Core with minimal technical assistance from the Core team. This does not mean without coordination.
- Develop and maintain infrastructure that gives us useful metrics and accelerates development. Share these with the company.
- Know how to maintain and improve the entire Windows CI infrastructure.
- Support our customers in integrating our products, help them debug and fix issues, and collaborate with them to understand their requirements for our products.
- Manage your work by setting your own goals, prioritizing and executing them, and ultimately taking ownership of tasks and projects.
- Collaboratively plan the product direction for 2 quarters in advance with a mixture of concrete objectives and more general goals, both long term and short term using Slack, Basecamp, GitHub, and Zoom.
- Track progress of these goals and trouble shoot as soon as possible.
- Keep other parts of the company up to date when necessary, i.e. as little as necessary but no less.
- Understand the product strengths and weaknesses and how this aligns (or not) with the company objectives.
- Mentor and manage other team members and bring people into projects from other teams as needed, providing assistance and clear communication.
- Keep a constant eye on the general satisfaction of customers with support. Only escalate issues when necessary understanding that the company cannot scale if this is not observed.
- Give constructive critical input at engineering meetings and help facilitate perspective sharing and process evolution.
- Foster a collegial atmosphere in the company and try to lead by example.
- Be proficient with Microsoft development tools, in particular Visual Studio.
- Be proficient with XAML based UI development (UWP or WPF) and have experience developing custom XAML controls. Familiarity with WinUI 2 and the upcoming WinUI 3 is desirable.
- Have a breadth-first approach to software engineering and have experience with or strong willingness to learn other tech stacks (e.g. Web, iOS or multi-platform development with Xamarin or React Native for our wrappers, multiple scripting languages, etc).
- Structure your work around the larger context of the business goals and the product’s customer.
- Have a strong interest in designing and maintaining a set of cohesive public APIs, always striving for simplicity and composability.
- Have good communication skills and enjoy working with a passionate team, while understanding the challenges of working on a distributed team.
- Have a well-rounded approach to problem solving, and understand the difference between when to apply a fix and when to refactor to remove a specific class of bugs.
- Work independently and have a high sense of responsibility.
- Understand the value of changes in the larger context of the business and the product’s customer.
- Have a good command of English for writing documentation and occasional blog posts.
Please note that you can be a perfect fit even if not everything we’ve outlined above applies to you. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.
- A remote-first focus that allows you to set up working hours that best fit your daily routine.
- A family-friendly work environment.
- Room for personal and professional development through the encouragement of learning and experimenting.
- The time to help you improve upon your personal goals (through regular 1on1s and mentoring).
- Two planned company events during the year (for example, in Croatia, Italy, Spain, Greece, and Vienna) - currently suspended because of COVID-19.
- Working with a motivated team that enables you to do your best.
- A generous vacation policy of five weeks, plus an additional allowance for conferences and paternity leave.
- A comprehensive onboarding process to get you up to speed.
An Application Should Include:
- A writeup explaining who you are as a programmer. We are especially interested in knowing how you started, what projects you have loved (or not loved) working on, what motivates you, and what surprising things you’ve learned since you began programming.
- A piece of code (it doesn’t have to be your own) that does something you find interesting, and an explanation as to why.
- Links to online profiles you use (e.g. GitHub, Twitter).
- A description of your work history (such as a resume, LinkedIn profile, or prose).
PSPDFKit helps companies and users increase productivity across the globe. With our robust PDF solutions, we ensure developers and end users have the highest quality tools available to do their best work. Trusted by industry leaders such as IBM, SAP, Lufthansa, and United Airlines, PSPDFKit is the go-to solution for integrating PDFs into your app. Find out more about us on our team page.
It’s vitally important that every person working for us identifies with and is passionate about our core values:
1. Continuous Improvement
2. Be open to feedback and to changing your mind
3. Search out and welcome different perspectives
4. It’s always about people, our people and our customers
5. Trust and be excellent to one another
6. Explore, be creative, experiment and be willing to embrace the latest technology
7. Aim to get things done the right way and care about quality