After-School Program Theater Activity Specialist
Bronx, NY /
An Invitation to Apply for the Position of
After-School Theater Activity Specialist
Girls Prep Bronx Middle School
About Public Prep
Public Prep is the nation’s first non-profit network that exclusively develops exceptional, tuition-free PreK and single-sex elementary and middle public schools. We pursue continuous excellence through our dedication to an inclusive community focused on scholar, family, and staff collaboration. Our scholars are resilient and empathetic, guided by our four core values of community (sisterhood/brotherhood), scholarship, responsibility, and merit. Our teaching model is designed to incorporate a culturally responsive approach that is informed by data to cultivate an environment that empowers scholars to become independent learners. At Public Prep we believe zip code should not define your destiny, systemic and institutional racism must be disrupted and that all scholars should be on a predictable path to and through college.
Our network comprises 6 schools across 5 campuses in the Lower East Side and Bronx, serving 2,100 scholars in grades PreK-8:
Girls Prep Bronx Elementary School (Grades Pre-K-5)
Girls Prep Bronx Elementary School II (Grades Pre-K-1)
Girls Prep Bronx Middle School (Grades 6-8)
Girls Prep Lower East Side Elementary School (Grades PreK-4)
Girls Prep Lower East Side Middle School (Grades 5-8)
Boys Prep Bronx (Grades K-8)
What Sets Us Apart
In addition to the academic work, Public Prep emphasizes social-emotional learning as critical to supporting the whole child. Relationship-building is the lever that moves adults to move students and that moves families to invest time and energy in schools. Each school has a committed leadership team and staff that strives to work collaboratively to build a warm, joyful culture of rigor. Public Prep is committed to investing in our adult learning culture. As a team member at Public Prep you can anticipate a learning environment where growth mindset, humility and data informed decision making is evident through professional development that takes place within coaching cycles, observation and feedback, and targeted professional development opportunities within the network and from outside providers.
In 2020, all of our campuses were recognized by NYS as Recognition Schools for their high academic achievement and strong progress. Board of Regents Chancellor Betty Rosa described them as “exemplary public schools that demonstrate that all students can achieve at high levels with the right supports and resources.” This honor has been bestowed upon the top 15% of schools in New York State.
We offer a competitive salary, retirement packages, comprehensive health and wellness benefits and other employment perks. We offer ongoing professional development and leadership training programs to support long-term career growth and trajectory. For more details about our benefits package, visit our website at www.publicprep.org/careers.
Public Preparatory Network is an Equal Opportunity employer. Public Preparatory Network is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.
Primary Function & Position Overview
The After-School Activity Specialist fulfills their commitment to our mission by ensuring that after-school intervention and enrichment is consistent and safe, and ensures that our girls continue to exhibit scholarship, merit, responsibility, and sisterhood during after-school time. This work will assist our scholars in meeting their goal of getting to and through college.
Activity Specialists will turn in a weekly lesson plan to the Program Director and Education Specialist.
Duties & Responsibilities
- The After-School Activity Specialist is responsible for the overall development, management, and organization and planning of their activity with support from after school staff
- Taking attendance and helping to distribute snack
- Supervising transitions in the hallway
- Ensuring seamless operations and maintaining the classroom environment throughout the after-school program
- Working closely with the After School team to develop the activity over the course of the contract terms. This includes a willingness to accept and implement feedback
- Bachelors Degree in STEM, ELA, or Leadership related area and preferred
- At least 2 years related experience in youth development programs preferred
- Fully able to plan, engage, and lead interesting and activities
- Ability to work well with Middle School youth in an after school setting
- Must have a commitment to working with youth with a variety of unique learning needs, while providing high-quality services
- Must have a commitment to work from a strength based and/or youth development perspective
- Those with an interest in single-sex education and pursuing careers in education highly preferred
- Fluency in Spanish preferred
This description is intended to describe the type of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by the employee.
Please be sure to attach a resume and a cover letter explaining why you want to work for Public Prep.