Senior Back-end Engineer
Technology – Engineering /
Full-Time / Permanent
We hold the key to making quantum technology useful. Q-CTRL is defining the quantum infrastructure software segment, and our products are revolutionizing the way quantum technology is used. From educating the workforce on how quantum computing works with Black Opal, to our industry-first November 2023 announcement that Q-CTRL’s performance-management software is now natively integrated with IBM Quantum services, we are building the global quantum sector. But our work isn’t limited to quantum computing: we go everywhere that quantum goes. In July 2023 our work with Australian Defence on software-ruggedized quantum sensing for navigation without GPS was featured in the New York Times.
We base these world-leading commercial outcomes on a base of transformational research. We operate the industry’s largest team of experts in quantum control, and push the limits of human capability through our software, hardware, and technical publications in the world’s most prestigious scientific journals.
As a high-growth global quantum startup we’ve raised over US $72M since 2017 from investors such as Airbus Ventures, Horizon Ventures, Main Sequence Ventures, SquarePeg Capital, Sierra Ventures, Salesforce Ventures and others; this includes the world’s largest Series B for any quantum software company. Adding to the completion of our new global HQ in Sydney (Australia’s first fully dedicated, commercial quantum technology site), Los Angeles and Berlin offices, we’ve also recently announced our expansion into the UK to continue to impact the development of quantum technology globally.
We’re led by our values; to be real, to be trusted, to be just, and to be revered. We’ve brought together an inspiring team of world-leading physicists, engineers, product and design specialists (to name a few!) to help us shape the future of quantum technology. And we’re looking for new team members who want to help us change the world.
About the team
The Back-end Engineering team works closely with our Quantum Control Engineering, Front-end Engineering, DevOps Engineering, Product, Marketing and Design teams.
We value collaboration and strongly advocate for the best engineering practices through engineering sessions for constant process, standards and tools improvements. While our Product team guides us on “building the right thing”, our Engineering teams focus on “building the things right”, embodying the three virtues and our standards.
What you'll be doing:
- Developing, testing and documenting Q-CTRL's API's in Python
- Maintaining the microservices and client packages that support our product features
- Work closely across all teams to fully understand requirements for new product features, in particular as defined by the Product team and expressed as scenarios using Gherkin Syntax (Given, When, Then)
- Review and address code and comments submitted by the team via pull requests
- Stay up-to-date with current best-practices in your field with a willingness to share knowledge freely.
Ideally you'll have:
- At least 3 years of experience using Python and 5+ years of software development experience
- Hands on experience with Wagtail CMS
- Hands on experience with web API development (GraphQL, RESTful, etc)
- Our core values resonate with you (to be real, trusted, just and revered) and you have a willingness to adapt, collaborate and help others
- We’re a successful start-up company which means we move quickly, but with thought and empathy. Understanding how to operate within these parameters is extremely important
- You have a bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent practical experience.
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience with Python Web Frameworks such as Django, Flask or FastAPI
- Previous experience with Microservices
- Knowledge on OIDC and OAuth2 (we use Keycloak)
- Knowledge of distributed systems (we use Celery with RabbitMQ)
- Experience working in a start-up environment
Flexibility: We embrace workplace flexibility so you worry more about your global impact vs a rigid work schedule.
Attractive salary: You’ll get to live the start-up life without start-up wages.
Equity: We want people to have a sense of ownership in what they do and offer the potential for equity share and annual bonuses.
Resources: We are well funded by the world’s best technology investors, letting us chase our ambitions with minimal constraints.
Parental support: We offer paid parental leave to support you and your loved ones!
Diversity: We’re an equal employment opportunity employer. We value diversity, inclusion and providing equal opportunities to all, actively supporting initiatives like the ‘Global Women in Quantum’ program among others.
Unique culture: You’ll be surrounded by some of the world’s leading physicists, engineers, product, marketing and design people (to name a few!) with a strong desire to learn and transfer knowledge.
Meaningful values: You’ll work with an incredibly supportive team who work consistently to deliver our core values to be real, be trusted, be just and to be revered.
Personal development: We provide you with a personal development and wellness budget.
Impactful work: Last but not least! You’ll have the opportunity to work in the world’s leading field of technology and truly make an impact that matters!
Q-CTRL is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that values the strength diversity brings to the workplace. We are committed to being inclusive in the way we hire. We strongly encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all of the requirements mentioned in the job posting.
Please be advised that our communications will only come from the @q-ctrl.com domain. All our active job postings are available on our company website.
To recruitment agencies, we do not accept unsolicited branded profiles and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.