Senior Quantum Control Engineer- Quantum Algorithms and Compilation
Sydney, NSW /
Full-Time / Permanent
Quantum technology is likely to be as transformational in the 21st century as harnessing electricity was in the 19th. Quantum computing in particular promises to completely disrupt the way we process information - transforming previously uncomputable problems into manageable ones.
If you build or use quantum hardware, Q-CTRL provides the critical enabling software and professional services to help you achieve maximum performance. We empower our customers to realise the true potential of quantum tech, combining modern product design and engineering with state-of-the-art quantum control engineering techniques. Our ambition is to be the trusted provider of quantum control solutions across all applications of quantum tech.
We’re a venture-capital backed company with Tier-1 investors including Sequoia Capital, DCVC, Sierra Ventures, and InQTel. Q-CTRL operates offices in the US and Australia, but is currently supporting remote work within these jurisdictions due to COVID19.
About the role
Supported by the largest team of quantum control and machine learning experts in the world - already assembled at Q-CTRL - you will determine how to improve the performance of quantum algorithms relevant to real-world problems of commercial interest such as QAOA and VQE. As an algorithms and compilation specialist, you will seek to leverage Q-CTRL capabilities in quantum control and error suppression in order to achieve maximum performance when algorithms are run on real quantum hardware subject to noise and errors.
Responsibilities will include creating novel approaches to the incorporation of error mitigation in quantum algorithms, understanding the application of quantum algorithms to end-users, interacting with high-level abstractions for algorithm development and compilation, and evaluating performance through numerical simulation and experiment on partner hardware. You’ll aim to make quantum algorithms perform on real hardware the way they do in simulation by addressing the biggest challenges in the field.
What you will do:
- Develop new approaches to the implementation of quantum algorithms that utilize the latest in quantum control techniques to suppress errors arising in realistic lab environments.
- Apply optimization and machine learning techniques for both performance enhancement and analysis
- Develop realistic quantum-computer simulation tools to determine the performance of quantum algorithms on real devices, and quantify the expected improvements from use of appropriate quantum control techniques
- Support clients and partners by solving real commercial problems using quantum algorithms that are likely to get a quantum advantage with NISQ-era devices.
- Deploy solutions in the Q-CTRL product suite - through research, demonstrations, software development, testing, performance benchmarking, and documentation
- Develop publicly available and high quality software using Python
- Explain and document sophisticated solutions in accessible language
- Collaborate with your colleagues in the Quantum Control Engineering and Software Engineering teams
- Consult with the Lead Quantum Control Engineer, stakeholders and the broader team on decisions for all new products and features
- Communicate your results through publications and documentation to both the team and the wider quantum computing community.
We would love to hear from you if...
- You have a PhD in Physics, Engineering, CS or a closely related discipline.
- You have a background in quantum algorithms, applications, and compilation
- You have run quantum algorithms on real devices.
- Have developed software in Python (highly desirable, but not essential)
At Q-CTRL, you can make a difference from day one - you won't be just a cog in the machine. You will work in a fascinating industry where you get to be a part of the 21st century’s most disruptive technology transformation.
You'll get to live the startup life without the startup wages: we offer competitive salaries and potential equity options. We also embrace flexible work hours - worry about your global impact, not a rigid work schedule.
If you fit the above and you are as excited as we are about building the quantum future, let's talk!
Please note that to be considered, applicants must be authorised to legally work and live in Australia.
To recruitment agencies, we do not accept unsolicited branded profiles and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.