Senior Scientist, Quantum Sensing (Control)
Sydney, NSW /
Research – Sensing /
Full-Time / Permanent
We hold the key to making quantum useful! Q-CTRL is a company with a deep start-up spirit with offices in Sydney, Los Angeles and Berlin. Our goal is to revolutionize the quantum future of technology by delivering transformational, real-life outcomes for the world’s most innovative and impactful industry. Simply put, we make quantum technology useful.
We’re led by our values; to be real, be trusted, be just, and be revered. They guide us in everything we do - how we work together and how we shape the future of the quantum field. We want the best talent in the world to join our team - from operations, product, design and marketing through to quantum research. So whether you’re a quantum expert or simply unsure where you fit into a business like ours, we want to hear from you!
About the team
The Quantum Sensing division has rapidly evolved since the conception of the business. Two years ago, we realised the opportunity to diversify and build a dedicated quantum sensing hardware and modelling program. Fast forward to 2022 and we have established world-leading capability in Accelerometry, Magnetometry, Miniaturisation and Modelling, with a focus on software-defined quantum sensing hardware.
With huge growth projected for 2023 and beyond, we are seeking a new Senior Scientist, Quantum Sensing to join our team based out of Sydney, Australia.
What you’ll be doing:
- Perform essential research and development into novel quantum control solutions to enhance the performance of real-world quantum sensors (including atom interferometers and magnetometers).
- Develop novel theoretical models and numerical simulation tools suitable for assessing the performance of quantum sensors in real-world environments.
- Analyse sensor performance in realistic environments and apply optimization and machine learning techniques for both performance enhancement
- Work closely with our quantum control engineers, experimental physicists, and sensor hardware specialists to deploy your developed quantum control protocols on real quantum sensor hardware.
- Collaborate with your colleagues in the Quantum Sensing (Modelling) Team, the Quantum Sensing Division, and the company more broadly.
- Share your insights into control-augmented quantum sensing with the broader Quantum Sensing Division, company, external stakeholders and customers through verbal presentations and written outlets (e.g. academic publications, technical reports, blog posts).
Ideally you’ll have:
- A PhD in Physics, Engineering or a closely related discipline.
- Experience in the theory, numerical modelling, and/or optimization of one or more of the following: atom interferometry; cold and/or ultracold atomic systems; optical magnetometry and/or quantum sensing in warm atomic vapours; pulse-level optimisation and quantum control techniques.
- Finally, you will have a strong desire to work with a world leading team and a company that is fundamentally building the future of the quantum technology industry.
- Familiarity with the Python programming language for scientific computing.
- Experience modelling real experiments/hardware and working closely with experimental teams.
Bonus points if you have:
Flexibility: We embrace workplace flexibility so you worry more about your global impact vs a rigid work schedule
Attractive salary: You’ll get to live the start-up life without start-up wages
Equity: We want people to have a sense of ownership in what they do and offer the potential for equity share and annual bonuses
Resources: We are well funded by the world’s best technology investors, letting us chase our ambitions with minimal constraints
Parental support: We offer paid parental leave to support you and your loved ones!
Diversity: We’re an equal employment opportunity employer. We value diversity, inclusion and providing equal opportunities to all, actively supporting initiatives like the ‘Global Women in Quantum’ program among others
Unique culture: You’ll be surrounded by some of the world’s leading physicists, engineers, product, marketing and design people (to name a few!) with a strong desire to learn and transfer knowledge
Meaningful values: You’ll work with an incredibly supportive team who work consistently to deliver our core values to be real, be trusted, be just and to be revered
Personal development: We provide you with a personal development and wellness budget
Impactful work: Last but not least! You’ll have the opportunity to work in the world’s leading field of technology and truly make an impact that matters!
Please note: Q-CTRL is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that values the strength diversity brings to the workplace. We are committed to being inclusive in the way we hire. We strongly encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all of the requirements mentioned in the job posting.
To recruitment agencies, we do not accept unsolicited branded profiles and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.