Director of Software Engineering, Monitoring & Analytics
San Francisco, CA /
Growing Energy Labs, Inc (Geli) – Technology - Data Science /
This is a San Francisco based position that is currently remote and will have a hybrid schedule once we return to office. We are open to candidates willing to relocate to the San Francisco Bay Area.
Geli (Growing Energy Labs, Inc.) provides software and business solutions to design, connect, and operate energy storage systems ranging in size from residential to utility-scale, as well as grid-tied, microgrid, and off-grid systems. Geli’s suite of products creates an ecosystem where project developers, OEMs, financiers, and project operators can deploy advanced energy projects using a seamless hardware-agnostic software platform.
Geli is a subsidiary of Hanwha Q CELLS, one of the world’s largest photovoltaic manufacturers most recognized for its high-performance, high-quality solar cells and modules.
Geli is committed to helping make the planet a cleaner, better place to live, both with our software products and through our everyday actions.
Imagine a world where there is less reliance on non-renewable power, where you source your electricity from your neighbors rather than from power stations hundreds of miles away and software makes the best possible use of the solar, wind, and battery storage available. This is our vision.
We are looking for enthusiastic colleagues that are not only fluent in technology, but also share our vision of a world running on 100% renewable energy.
ABOUT THIS JOB
Travel Requirement: This role requires travel to Seoul once a quarter initially, reducing to 2-times a year in the future.
Desired Bi-Lingual Skills: Strong written and communication skills in Korean along with English.
As Director of Software Engineering, you will lead a team of world class Software Engineers in building a monitoring & analytics software platform that spans Distributed Energy resources spanning, Residential, C&I, Utility scale and EV Segments. This monitoring platform will provide actionable intelligence to the customers and serve the needs of different user personas covering Solar, Storage, Load Control and other assets and applications.
You will build and work with our globally distributed Software teams, closely collaborating with other Software Directors, Product Management, Business teams under the direction of the Global Software CTO and/or VP of Software Engineering. You will have a high Execution Quotient (XQ), along with EQ and IQ. You will use a Situation Leadership style with the right combination of pace setting, servant, and democratic leadership approaches.
This is a high-visibility, high-impact position in a fast-growing team with an opportunity to contribute to overall business strategy and product vision.
- You will lead software development execution in the renewable energy space, covering solar and storage
- You will drive scrum management and own the delivery schedule, working with Product Managers, Project Managers and other Scrum Managers when appropriate
- You will be accountable for delivery of Software in the Cloud platform (Microservices, DevOps, CI/CD)
- You will build, coach, train and motivate the team to success in these areas
- You will work with our Product Management and Sales teams across regions to drive towards success of the company as whole
- You will build software with architecture that embodies long term vision and big picture thinking alongside minimalist and iterative implementation
- You will have the right mix of accountability and stewardship
- You will conduct regular 1-1 meetings and performance evaluations of your direct reports
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering or Computer science or equivalent experience with at least 5-10 years of development experience utilizing one or more of the following languages (Java, Python, C++)
- You have at least 5 years of experience managing (line/administrative) teams of sizes 30+, including hiring and re-allocation of people as needed
- You have had real life experiences managing hard situations, challenging employees, and adapting to change
- Deep experience in cloud/enterprise software, building internet scale systems with scalable architecture
- Have experience leading UI and Backend teams, preferably using Micro frontends and microservices
- You should bring experience in Kafka, RabbitMQ, Kubernetes, Cassandra, Postgres and other Tech stack components which will make you successful in this role
- Strong understanding of communication protocols like MQTT, REST
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Revenue impact/value creation
- Collaboration with different software groups
- Happy and high-performing team
- Satisfied business teams and affected stakeholders, both internal and external
- Good understanding of power system fundamentals (power, voltage, current, energy, etc.)
- An understanding of the power systems, electrical grid & smart grid concepts, utility rate structures, and wholesale energy markets is valuable but not a must
- Experience with agile, scrum, and continuous integration/deployment
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT GELI
Competitive salary commensurate with experience
Competitive benefits offerings
Convenient accessible location in downtown San Francisco
Flexible work-from-home-office opportunities, as determined by position and job duties
Make a difference: join a group of people who are passionate about renewable energy
Have an impact: the company is still small enough that everyone’s contribution has a significant impact to the success of the company
Many opportunities to lead teams, projects, and contribute to development
Casual professional working environment: there’s no need to dress up, just present your best self
Work collaboratively in a diverse environment- we commit to reaching better decisions by respecting opinions and working through disagreements
We value the insights that a diverse team can bring. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in tech.
Growing Energy Labs, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.