Software Engineer - Energy Algorithms & Analytics
San Francisco, CA /
Growing Energy Labs, Inc (Geli) – Technology - Data Science /
This is a San Francisco based position that is currently remote and will have a hybrid schedule once we return to office. We are open to candidates willing to relocate to the San Francisco Bay Area.
Geli (Growing Energy Labs, Inc.) provides software and business solutions to design, connect, and operate energy storage systems ranging in size from residential to utility-scale, as well as grid-tied, microgrid, and off-grid systems. Geli’s suite of products creates an ecosystem where project developers, OEMs, financiers, and project operators can deploy advanced energy projects using a seamless hardware-agnostic software platform.
Geli is a subsidiary of Hanwha Q CELLS, one of the world’s largest photovoltaic manufacturers most recognized for its high-performance, high-quality solar cells and modules.
Geli is committed to helping make the planet a cleaner, better place to live, both with our software products and through our everyday actions.
Imagine a world where there is less reliance on non-renewable power, where you source your electricity from your neighbors rather than from power stations hundreds of miles away and software makes the best possible use of the solar, wind, and battery storage available. This is our vision.
We are looking for enthusiastic colleagues that are not only fluent in technology, but also share our vision of a world running on 100% renewable energy.
Geli is hiring a python engineer with strong mathematical modeling skills to join our data science team. Software Engineer - Energy Algorithms & Analytics will develop parts of our core algorithms related to manipulation oftime series data and evaluating costs, as well as supporting the development and maintenance of the simulations platform. Data science is at the core of Geli’s products, so this position will give you plenty of opportunity to learn about and contribute to our platform.
- Architect and develop software that implements and runs mathematical optimization and ML algorithms.
- Develop software that calculates metrics related to energy applications and evaluates algorithm performance using streaming equipment telemetry data. Examples include electric bills, demand response baselines and revenues, wholesale energy market revenues.
- Collaborate with Data Scientists, Software Engineers and DevOps to deploy software applications into production.
- Collaborate with Product Managers, Energy Analytics Engineers and Data Scientists to understand and implement new requirements for the simulations platform, such as adding automated workflows, increasing usability and improving scalability.
- Develop microservice interfaces and contribute to microservice architecture for energy applications.
- Run feature and regression testing of the simulations platform.
- Troubleshoot issues related to the algorithm code.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- A solid foundation in computer science and software engineering principles.
- 3+ years of experience developing python (3.6+) code in a production environment, including experience with CI+CD, unit testing, complex team projects in Git, managing virtual environments.
- Experience with Python libraries for numerical methods and time series data (NumPy, Pandas, SciPy, datetime).
- Experience in mathematical modeling, preferably related to renewable energy.
- Experience querying and designing databases for structured data.
- Strong background in linear algebra, probability, and statistics.
- Ability to work collaboratively with all levels and teams at Geli.
- Willingness to learn and adapt in the rapidly growing energy industry.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of distributed energy resources (PV, storage, EVs), their applications, and renewable energy.
- Familiarity with machine learning and optimization algorithms and concepts.
- Experience with cloud and IoT technologies as Docker, Kubernetes, microservices, message passing architectures, REST APIs.
- Experience with Airflow (including plugins).
- Database and data management technologies: PostgreSQL, Django ORM, Cassandra, Timescale DB, Redis, S3.
- Monitoring and Alerting technologies.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT GELI
Competitive salary commensurate with experience
Competitive benefits offerings
Convenient accessible location in downtown San Francisco
Flexible work-from-home-office opportunities, as determined by position and job duties
Make a difference: join a group of people who are passionate about renewable energy
Have an impact: the company is still small enough that everyone’s contribution has a significant impact to the success of the company
Many opportunities to lead teams, projects, and contribute to development
Casual professional working environment: there’s no need to dress up, just present your best self
Work collaboratively in a diverse environment- we commit to reaching better decisions by respecting opinions and working through disagreements
We value the insights that a diverse team can bring. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in tech.
Growing Energy Labs, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.