People and Culture Manager
Human Resources /
Quantum Mob is a Toronto-based digital innovation partner that helps ambitious companies build successful digital products. We provide custom solutions to the complex problems facing our clients, which range from innovative early-stage startups to elite Fortune 500 companies.
The addition of this role comes at an exciting time in Quantum Mob’s story, as we prepare for an exciting period of growth. The Head of People & Culture will advocate for the entire Quantum Mob team and push forward the development of impactful initiatives in Hiring/Talent Management, Learning and Development, Diversity and Inclusion, and more. As Quantum Mob scales, the Head of People & Culture will have the opportunity to work on developing the foundation for a supercharged People Operations department by iterating and improving on, formalizing, and documenting standard processes, and aligning all People Operations activities to business objectives. The Head of People & Culture will lead the development of an industry leading organizational culture and employer brand.
Who You Are
You often preempt issues with thoughtful planning and execution, and are able to extract insights from trends and data.
Much of your day to day job satisfaction derives from your ability to positively impact Quantum Mob team members’ growth, wellbeing, and excellence. You go out of your way to build strong, trusting relationships with every member of the team.
You build unique solutions to difficult, novel problems, and iterate on your approach to ensure that the People Operations department is constantly improving. You learn quickly and leverage your research skills to augment your own expertise.
What You’ll Do
Engagement, Employee Relations, and Team Wellbeing (40% of time)
1. Embody the core organizational values of Community, Authenticity, Passion, and Accountability, and encourage alignment of the team through these pillars
2. Coach Managers and Team Leaders on navigating difficult conversations and conflicts, act as a resource for all people managers
3. Recommend, develop, and execute engaging, exciting, and fun organizational events to promote team bonding and excellence
4. Monitor team engagement and turnover, and make recommendations/implement changes where appropriate
5. Advocate for the impact of regular 1:1s, feedback sessions, peer feedback, performance reviews, and goal setting for every member of the team. Oversee these activities, and ensure a high level of engagement from people leaders
6. Research and assess new tools, practices, initiatives that can supplement an excellent and memorable employee experience
7. Monitor key lagging indicators for employee wellness, engagement, and performance, and if necessary, work decisively to implement measures to mitigate and reverse negative trends
8. Be present with the team, and build a strong rapport and level of trust with every member of the Quantum Mob team
9. Own the Employee Handbook and ensure every section is regularly updated to be aligned with newest iteration of policies and practices
10. Create and roll-out an engagement action plan based on engagement surveys, 1:1s, and team updates
Employer Brand, Talent Acquisition, and Talent Management (25% of time)
1. Oversee the constant development and improvement of talent sourcing, evaluation, assessment, and selection processes
2. Constantly improve said processes using data from performance reviews, exit interviews, and the hiring lifecycle
3. Work with hiring managers to develop ideal candidate profiles aligning candidates with the organization’s core values, as well as the requirements and opportunities presented by the role
4. Develop a strong employer brand by leveraging online and offline opportunities, including social media, job boards, glassdoor, campus recruiting events, and community/industry networking events
5. Oversee the creation, maintenance, and execution of employment agreements
6. Manage the process for performance assessments and compensation reviews/adjustments
7. Make recommendations for compensation structure adjustments
8. Ensure a high level of confidence in competitiveness and attractiveness of compensation packages for all roles/functions in the organization
9. Recommend action to remain competitive and compelling employers
10. Regularly assess efficacy of all stages of the talent lifecycle, and make recommendations for, and execute on regular improvements
Learning and Development (20% of time)
1. Oversee the establishing of comprehensive and efficient training programs for every function at across the organization
2. Collaborate with department leads to build, roll out, and iterate on a modern and effective Learning and Development program
3. Establish a clear promotability framework for all functions and tracks in the organization
4. Provide training and coaching to people managers on best practices relating to delivering effective feedback, identifying and supporting struggling team members, and building accommodations for those who need them
5. Ensure, through monitoring and coaching, the consistent delivery of high-quality and fair feedback to all members of the team
6. Ensure learning and development opportunities are distributed equitably across the organization
Payroll, Benefits, and Administration (10% of time)
1. Ensure new hires and departing employees are appropriately activated/deactivated on relevant platforms, especially the HRIS (BambooHR)
2. Ensure necessary information and documentation are communicated to finance team for first payroll.
3. Enroll new employees are appropriately enrolled in health benefits program
4. Advocate throughout the team for the active use of health benefits, and provide constant education on them
Health and Safety & Compliance (5% of time)
1. Ensure Occupational Health and Safety compliance standards are met, and participate and lead the joint health and safety committee (JHSC)
2. Ensure all relevant legal compliance requirements are met, and conduct research to ensure a robust understanding of developing COVID-19 guidelines
What You’ll Bring
1. 5+ years of experience in Human Resources/People Operations in a rapidly growing organization
2. University Degree or equivalent in Human Resources or related field
3. Strong understanding of employment law in Ontario and across Canada
4. Experience with, and strong working knowledge of modern HR digital systems, including ATS, HRIS, and Employee Engagement Tools
5. Demonstrated ability to operate strategically, aligning HR solutions to business needs, and maintaining a high level of consistent delivery
6. Demonstrated ability to operate in a leadership capacity, and influence leaders and managers across the organization
Perks and Benefits We Offer
1. Generous Vacation Policy including an additional paid Holiday week at the end of the calendar year
2. Extended Health Benefits including life, medical, vision and dental; virtual consultations and family assistance program; Parental leave policy
3. Lots of opportunities for learning & development
4. Quarterly staff events and bi-weekly team socials
5. When in office: Dog friendly workplace, snacks, games, quiet spaces, and lots of coffee!
If your interest is piqued, please apply. Also, be sure to check out other listings on our Careers page.
Hungry for more? Let's talk.
Quantum Mob is proud to be a diverse and equal opportunity employer. As such, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Accommodations are available upon request for all applicants with a disability throughout the recruitment process.
At Quantum Mob, we are dedicated to creating an inclusive culture with a diversity of talented individuals who join, stay, and work in an environment that enables them to thrive.
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.