Senior Backend Software Engineer - remote friendly
Tech & Data – Back-End /
Our mission? Creating the finance solution that energizes SMEs and freelancers, so they can achieve more. We simplify everything from everyday banking to bookkeeping and spend management. At Qonto, we’re passionate about creating the best product, so if you’re looking for an ambitious team that’s revolutionizing an old-fashioned industry, get in touch!
Our journey: Alexandre and Steve launched Qonto in July 2017. Since then, the team has earned the trust of more than 350,000 customers and opened offices in Paris, Berlin, Milan, and Barcelona. Last summer, we joined forces with Penta, a market leader based in Berlin and Belgrade, forming a united team of 1000+ Qontoers. We also made it to the Top 3 of LinkedIn Top Startups France!
Ambition | We tackle big challenges. No matter what.
Teamwork | We create momentum by working together, at the same speed.
Mastery | We pursue excellence through continuous learning. We face challenges with humility. Every day.
Integrity | We're open. We're honest. And we earn the trust of our clients and each other.
You can find out more about the Qonto Way here.
Our beliefs: Diversity brings success. We actively recruit people from a range of backgrounds, employ inclusive hiring techniques; and work with our external partners to continually increase and improve our DEI initiatives. As a result, we obtained a rating of 87/100 in 2023 for the annual Index of professional equality and are happy to say that 44% of our teams are women.
🌏 Location:You can choose to work in a full-remote mode as long as you're living in (or willing to relocate to) either Germany, France, Italy, Serbia or Spain.
⭐ Mission: Join us as a Senior Backend Engineer to craft polished user experiences, highly scalable APIs and robust banking services, all to help create the finance solution all businesses love.
⚡ Impact: As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will be part of a team of 100 highly skilled back-end engineers from all over the world. You will work closely in cross-functional teams to shape our finance solutions. You will also take part in the direction of our banking product, manage how we will handle our ever-growing user base needs, and deliver high-quality products in a fast-paced environment.
👩💻🧑💻 As a Senior Backend Engineer at Qonto, you will
• Design, develop and maintain our APIs for maximum resilience, scalability, robustness, and security
• Build new applications and services to support our APIs and internal tools to help us move faster with confidence and quality
• Play an active role in the architecture at Qonto to better support our growing user base and scaling needs
• Maintain our high level of quality through TDD, documentation, pairing, and learning
• Help scale our backend code base while maintaining our strong engineering culture
• Share your knowledge and learnings through internal and external talks, & participate in the development of open-source tools
Our primary languages are Python, Golang and Ruby for backend, EmberJS for frontend, and Kotlin and Swift for our mobile apps. Our platform runs on a Kubernetes cluster hosted on AWS, with PostgreSQL as our database of choice. We're also using Kafka for our event-driven architecture and ELK for logging and auditing, among many other tools, services, and applications.
🤔 What you can expect: our methodology, the Qonto Way
• We highly value the analysis phase on software delivery. We're putting a heavy emphasis on upfront technical designs, team reviews, and smart slicing. You can expect to focus on quality, which we believe drives the velocity our customers need.
• We think success comes from a space where you're given time, support, and autonomy to improve yourself, our systems and our processes. Our lean toolbox enables you to monitor your constant improvements (Kaizen, PDCA) in a collaborative way with your peers and manager.
• Our engineers, working in cross-functional teams, dedicate themselves to one feature at a time.
🤝 Your future department Head
One of our Heads of Backend at Qonto is David. He has a strong international career with multiple software engineering experiences. Before joining Qonto in January 2022, he was the CTO of several startups in the sports & video game industries.
• What can he bring to you and the team?
David has a lot of experience in Software Craftsmanship and Extreme programming. You will have the opportunity to work in a team that values high-quality software! He also fosters and promotes a highly collaborative workplace, & embraces ambitious and difficult technical challenges.
• Experience: You have strong experience as a software engineer and have had exposure to architectural patterns of large, high-scale web applications. Plus, you have strong knowledge and experience in Python, Go, Ruby, or you're willing to learn.
• Problem solver: You are a pragmatic and solution-oriented engineer, with an interest in solving problems and delivering value.
• Impact maker: You want to help build an innovative product used by tens of thousands of users and leave your mark.
• Quality-driven: You follow best practices regarding code quality, testing and code reviews.
• Curiosity: You are a curious and open-minded engineer eager to learn.
• Team player: You have good communication skills, are comfortable working in a team, and can easily work with non-technical colleagues.
• Languages: You are fluent in English.
Qonto is an open-minded company. Don’t tick all the boxes? Apply, and we’ll let you know if we think you could fit the role. You never know 😉
A laptop. An inclusive work environment. A tailor-made career track. And so much more to help you succeed.
- A central fully-renovated building in Paris with WeWork services
- Monthly team events
- Tailor-made remote work policy depending on the job you apply for
- 25 days of paid leave + 5 Qonto days or 25 days of paid leave + 10 RTT +/-
- Alan health insurance, Moka Care to take care of your mental health, and Gymlib for sports and wellness activities
- A Swile lunch card: 50% covered
- A progressive parenthood policy as part of our commitment to the Parental Act (1 in 6 of Qonto employees is a parent!) and childcare benefits with selected partners
💪 Our hiring process:
- Interviews with your Talent Acquisition Manager and future managers
- A remote exercise to demonstrate your skills and give you a taste of what working at Qonto could be like
We will send you an interview guide so you can best prepare yourself.
On average our process lasts 20 working days and offers usually follow within 48 hours 🤞
Thank you for considering joining Qonto. We cannot wait to learn more about you!
One last thing. We recently raised 486M€ in our Series D to ensure we keep growing safely, despite the current economic environment looking a bit gloomy. We revealed our plans for the future here.
To learn more about us: