Data Scientist | Commercial Insurance Pricing
Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia /
Data Science /
As a Data Scientist at QuantCo, you will learn what it takes to create impact from data: identifying the right framework to translate a business question into a statistical problem; locating and combining data sources as well as transforming large datasets; running in-depth analyses; building machine learning models that automate large-scale decisions and integrating them into live business processes; and interpreting, visualizing, and communicating results to internal and external stakeholders. Example projects within the commercial space are: car fleet insurance pricing (new business, yearly portfolio adjustment), 360-degree customer view, and sales lead generation.
Aspiring data scientists should be team players with excellent quantitative abilities and:
- A degree in economics, statistics, mathematics, computer science, engineering, physics, or similar fields from a leading university
- Experience in coding and working with data using a wide range of tools and languages: Python (Pandas, Scikitlearn, XGBoost/LightGBM), SQL, and git
- Experience working with real-world data in a production environment (from gathering data across organization to deploying models)
- In-depth understanding of mathematical and statistical concepts behind most common machine learning techniques and an interest in causal inference questions, e.g., A/B tests
- Ability to see solutions and opportunities that others do not see
- High level of commitment and reliability, good balance of pragmatism and perfectionism
- Business proficiency in German and English
- Bonus: MLFlow, AWS, Docker, and data visualization tools (e.g. Power BI)
We are looking for exceptionally motivated and skilled candidates and offer a compensation package that includes a base salary, bonus, and stock options. The main client project is located in Cologne and requires traveling for at least a few days per month. The new member can live closely to any of our offices in Europe, e.g. Berlin, Munich, London or Zurich.
Please attach a CV and an unofficial course transcript (for recent university graduates) with your application. A cover letter is not required.
We leverage expertise in data science, engineering, and economics to help organizations turn data into decisions. As a bootstrapped profitable startup, QuantCo continues to grow despite the changing economic environment. Started in 2016 by four PhDs from Harvard and Stanford, we are now over 120 professionals with extensive quantitative, engineering, and business experience. We are globally distributed with offices in Berlin, Boston, Cologne, Karlsruhe, London, Munich, San Francisco, and Zurich.
QuantCo’s product line includes algorithmic pricing, data-driven claims management, and high-dimensional forecasting solutions. Our clients include some of the largest financial, healthcare, automotive, retail and e-commerce companies in Europe and the US.
We are excited about writing mission-critical code that affects millions of people and impacts billions of dollars. If you feel the same way, we look forward to hearing from you.
QuantCo does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.