Medical Physicist - Virdx
Essen, North Rhine–Westphalia /
Data Science /
Virdx - the virtual diagnostics unit of QuantCo - is making non-invasive, dignified, and actionable cancer diagnostics a reality. Starting with prostate cancer - the most frequent and second most deadly cancer in men in the USA - Virdx is changing the paradigm for medical artificial intelligence. Instead of providing yet another algorithm, Virdx intends to replace the entire diagnostic biopsy procedure with an imaging-based, non-invasive alternative that is free of side effects: The virtual biopsy. In doing so, Virdx is solving a broad range of exciting challenges in the fields of magnetic resonance physics, machine learning, and software engineering.
Help us build a great product
Virdx aims to deliver fundamental changes to the way cancer is diagnosed and medicine is practiced. In its R&D effort, Virdx builds upon the principle of “novel data for novel algorithms.” This means that Virdx is optimizing MRI protocols, with a particular emphasis on diffusion imaging, to power algorithms that can fully replace physical biopsies. To build the product, you, as a medical physicist at Virdx, will work directly with different MRI machines with the goal of optimizing MRI protocols. You will build software to assess and compare different protocols and you will read and critically discuss the latest literature in the fields of microstructure imaging and MRI physics. Ultimately, you will have the opportunity to use the unused capabilities of MRI to alter cancer diagnostics.
What we are looking for:
- A PhD or a master’s degree in medical physics, imaging physics, physics of nuclear magnetic resonance or related fields, ideally with an experimental component such as optimizing experimental design via metric development or quality control reporting. Previous work in diffusion imaging is beneficial.
- Proficiency in Python required, previous experience in Pytorch and ML/DL stack is beneficial
- Ability to write clean, effective, and production-ready code
- Experience in medical imaging (such as DICOM data and storage systems) is beneficial but not required
- Business proficiency in English and Germany
- Willingness to travel when necessary
We are especially interested in candidates who:
- Have a demonstrated ability to learn continuously, work independently, exercise expert judgment and make smart decisions
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset, are highly motivated and willing to work on problems beyond core expertise if needed
- Subscribe to the mindset “you build it, you run it” as you will be taking care of testing, deploying, and monitoring your code
- Have the adaptability to work effectively in interdisciplinary teams of technical and non-technical individuals with many different backgrounds
- Are motivated by building products that are truly impactful, with a constant appreciation of our end-users and customers
What we offer:
- Join an exciting, early-stage, and fast-paced team working on the frontiers of medical research and machine learning
- Work with an interdisciplinary team of motivated and driven individuals, with a vision to bring meaningful change to an industry
- Generous compensation package that includes a base salary, bonus, stock options, and relocation support along with additional location-based benefits
The team is based between Essen (Germany) and Boston (United States). We support hybrid working setups, and welcome applications from all over Germany, if the individual is open to occasional travel to Essen.
At QuantCo, we leverage expertise in data science, engineering, and economics to help organizations turn data into decisions. Started by 4 PhDs from Harvard and Stanford, we are now more than 160 professionals with extensive quantitative, engineering, and business experience. We are globally distributed with offices in Berlin, Boston, Cologne, Karlsruhe, London, Munich, San Francisco, and Zurich.
Our solutions include algorithmic pricing, data-driven claims management, and high-dimensional forecasting systems. Our customers include some of the largest financial, retail, and healthcare organizations in the US and Europe. We impact core business processes and decisions by combining advanced data-driven insights with scalable engineering solutions.
We are excited about writing mission-critical code that affects millions of people and impacts billions of dollars. If you feel the same way, we look forward to hearing from you.
QuantCo does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.