Manager of Electrical and Controls Engineering, PMTS
HQ- San Jose, CA /
R&D – Equipment Design & Automation /
QuantumScape is on a mission to transform energy storage with solid-state lithium-metal battery technology. The company’s next-generation batteries are designed to enable longer range, faster charging and enhanced safety in electric vehicles to support the transition away from legacy energy sources toward a lower carbon future.
We are seeking a Manager of Electrical and Controls Engineering on the Automation Equipment Design and Development team that is responsible for designing and building the automation and robotic equipment for the solid-state battery factory. As a Manager of Electrical and Controls Engineering, you will be driving the team working on electrical design, architecture, implementation, and assessment of automated equipment, own the electrical standard, code compliance, hardware selection, drawing schematics and review process of the project as well as additional functions such as supplier relations, procurement, installation and safety assessment.
• Coaches and develops the team, setting objectives that inspire and motivate the team. Manages organization talent through performance management, succession planning and career development.
• Design and specify UL control panel and work with UL shops for implementation and testing. You own the panel drawings and BoM.
• Design and sizing AC and DC power distribution.
• Safety PLC I/O system design, and safety I/O components selection, such as door locks, safety switches, as well as safety category (or Performance Level) evaluations.
• Design the wiring for the OEM controllers, i.e. robot controller, motion controller, vision system, and create and maintain the system wiring diagram.
• Design cable harness as required.
• Design system field bus topology and network topology.
• Design and implement control reliable safety circuits for the automated tools with safety robots, and other high-volume manufacturing equipment as per codes and standards.
• Participate new tool concept designs and contribute to the automation solutions, critical component selections, and transform concept layouts/designs into fabrication & installation drawings with trade off consideration of specification, lead-time, complexity, and real-world process requirements.
• Participate in QS electrical specification and standard creation and implementations.
• As a source of controls electrical engineering know-how in supporting existing equipment trouble shooting, CIP and future new tools development.
• Create and maintain proper documentations.
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and 10+ years’ experience or a Master’s degree and 8+ years’ experience with an educational background in Electrical or Mechatronic Engineering.
• In depth knowledge of electrical designs compliancy, codes, and standards or equivalent (local voltage usage, regulations, governing bodies)
• Proficiency designing electrical & power distribution systems in AutoCAD Electrical
• Proficiency in field network topology, both theory and practical applications
• Proficiency selecting appropriate circuit protectors, wire and cable, sensors, safety hardware, PLC hardware, remote I/O, and servo systems
• Experience creating project documentation, drawings, inspections, etc.
• Good written and spoken communication skills
• Multi-tasking ability, priority management and sense of urgency
• Able to work under pressure per tight schedule
• Knowledge of system and parts reliability
Compensation & Benefits:
The mid-point salary for this role is $226,781, but our goal is to customize a salary based on the candidate's experience and background. QuantumScape also offers an annual bonus and a generous RSU/Equity package as part of its compensation plan. In addition, we do offer a tremendous benefits plan including employee paid health care, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP), and other exciting perks.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.