SMTS, Machine Vision Engineer
HQ- San Jose, CA /
R&D – Equipment Design & Automation /
QuantumScape is on a mission to transform energy storage with solid-state lithium-metal battery technology. The company’s next-generation batteries are designed to enable longer range, faster charging and enhanced safety in electric vehicles to support the transition away from legacy energy sources toward a lower carbon future.
Sr. Machine Vision Engineer
QuantumScape is seeking a Senior Machine Vision Engineer on the Automation Equipment Design and Development (AEDD) team that is responsible for designing and building the automation and robotic equipment for the solid-state battery factory. As a Senior Machine Vision Engineer, you will be the source of engineering know-how on camera, lens, lighting, imaging, and vision recognition software and drive the design, architecture, programing, and implementation with the PLC controller to the automated equipment. You will trouble shoot and solve vision system issues in the process.
The Machine Vision Engineer will also work with cross-functional teams throughout the entire lifecycle of the equipment development and production processes. Will work closely with Product Design Engineering, Quality, Production and Maintenance to bring components from initial design, through prototype development and finally cut into full QS production line.
· Own the vision system design including camera, lens, lighting, imaging, and vision software scripting.
· Design, program, and commission vision cameras for 2D/3D guidance of robots and part inspection.
· Program ladder logic and/or structured text on multiple PLC controller platforms (Allen-Bradley, Siemens and/or Beckhoff).
· Sequence complex, multi-station equipment for parts recognition, pick-and-place correction, inspection, and conveyance applications.
· Trouble shoot issues, CIP vision systems on the existing tools and propose improvement solutions to the OEM suppliers.
· Handle the variations in the process and improve the vision system design, create Custom Tool, write scripts, and build apps.
· Involved in the automation equipment control system design, development, and programing beyond vision system.
· Involved in the interface process and test equipment with MES and production quality databases using scripting and SQL.
· Engineering know-how on imaging, optics, camera, graphics.
· In depth knowledge of vision system design (Cognex, Keyence, or similar) and development for automation applications.
· Proficient in the vision system scripting, toolbox, and tweak the parameters to improve the rec score.
· Control system software development and interfacing to PLC and IOs, as well as industrial communication network (EthernetIP).
· Familiarity of automation equipment safety compliancy, codes, and standards.
· Experience creating project documentation, drawings, test reports, etc.
· Good written and spoken communication skills.
· Multi-tasking ability, priority management and sense of urgency.
· Able to work under pressure per tight schedule.
· BS/MS in Electrical, Mechatronic Engineering, Computer Science or the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability.
· At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in automation machine vision engineering position.
· Knowledge of system and parts reliability.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.