Senior Member of Technical Staff, Battery Scientist
HQ- San Jose, CA
R&D – Cell Development
Come join us on our mission as we revolutionize energy storage to enable a sustainable future.
QuantumScape is a start-up located in San Jose, California working on new energy storage technology to allow electric vehicles to outperform internal combustion cars. Our leap in energy density and charge rate is enabled by a different chemistry and cell architecture which also benefits safety. Our quick progress is due in part to a state-of-the-art laboratory facility, highly automated data collection and analysis, and a strong and clear set of values.
Do you want to learn about and work on this critical part of the future energy economy? As part of our Cell Development team, you will develop cell prototypes, test platforms, and production processes to help put this technology on the road.
We're looking for a material scientist/engineer to develop and characterize battery materials. This includes material screening and preliminary design assessment at the component level, developing processes to integrate the target material into test platforms, evaluating the materials performance and proposing approaches to close gaps. Experience with polymer processing, coating/casting methods, and electrical measurements is required. You’d be expected to perform the highest quality research, while delivering clear and unambiguous results in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Experience and education
• PhD in chemical engineering, chemistry, materials science or related field or MS with a minimum of 3 yrs experience in battery research and development
Skills & Knowledge
• Prior experience working with polymer coatings/electrolytes, slurry formulations and casting, thin film deposition methods
• Experience in electrical characterization of materials (e.g. EIS, CV, GITT etc.)
· Experience with various test platforms (symmetric cells, half cells, full cells)
• Knowledge of general Li-ion battery science
• Competent in safe laboratory practices especially in handling powders, solvents and chemicals
• Organized and detail-oriented in recording and managing experimental activity
• Ability to communicate clearly and openly; strong affinity for teamwork
• Familiarity with DOE style experimentation and statistical analysis of data
• Capable of working independently and driving projects to completion
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.