Vice President of Engineering
San Francisco, CA or Remote /
Engineering – Engineering /
Quartzy is seeking a Vice President of Engineering to work collaboratively with the rest of the leadership team to help bring to life our vision for the “Connected Lab,” an integrated (SaaS/eCommerce) platform for the biopharma industry that accelerates the pace of research worldwide.
Quartzy is entering a new stage of growth, and we are looking for an Engineering Leader who has experience managing agile development teams. You will grow and manage the entire team of engineers including engineering Directors, Architects, QA Engineers and Site Reliability Engineers. You will partner with our product team on roadmapping and then ensure you have the resources and the structure necessary to hit our timelines. You will ensure the engineers are well mentored and excited to tackle the technical challenges ahead of us.
Quartzy is a 100% distributed team so this role can be done anywhere in the world.
You are an action-oriented engineering leader who has built engineering teams from the ground up. You have worked collaboratively with others on the leadership team to identify growth opportunities for the business, as well as proactively mitigated risk. You have taken part in annual planning processes and influenced the plan and the roadmap. You have learned how to build happy productive remote teams from engineers all over the world. You have start-up experience and love the challenges that come with getting things done with limited resources rapidly.
Quartzy is the world’s #1 lab management platform. Every day, hundreds of thousands of scientists from all over the world improve the efficiency of their research by using Quartzy. Our software combines lab resource management and eCommerce, producing unique value in this large market, returning time to researchers who can focus on their next discoveries. Our customers range from wine makers, to food/ag companies, to companies working on COVID testing and therapies. We are humbled every day to serve them.
What You'll Do
- Work with the executive leadership team to set and execute against the annual planLead, manage and mentor a team of engineers
- Recruit and develop top engineering talent (US & International)
- Develop standards and procedures to ensure quality standards are met and maintained
- Maintain and optimize budgets to meet goals
- Understand and collaborate on complete product lifecycle from concept to execution
- Recommend new technology and ideas to improve sprints and efficiency
What We're Looking For
- 5+ years experience managing high performance engineering teams of more than 20 engineers and including managers
- Exceptional communication: Your written communication is concise and you can verbalize why certain choices were made and the pros/cons of any alternatives you considered. You motivate and excite people when you communicate
- An open mind - You take feedback without defensiveness and will incorporate other people’s perspectives if they make sense
- Unwavering work ethic: You can predict problems before they arise and prevent them from happening. You are willing to put in the hours to achieve the company’s goals
- Experience structuring teams to align with company objectives, and measuring their performance
- Experience developing engineers to realize their full potential
- A bias for action: You like to move quickly, and are always iterating on ideas
- An ownership mentality: You possess a natural tendency to take initiative
What We Offer
- Great Culture - Participate in our fun events like speaker series, virtual happy hours & company/department off-sites
- Remote Team - We’re 100% distributed
- Transparency - Weekly all company stand ups, monthly town halls, quarterly state of the start ups and anytime access to co-founders
- Generous Time Off - Take the time you need, when you need it
- Internet Stipend - Quartzy provides a monthly stipend for your internet service
- Great Gear - We’ll set you up for success with the latest tech and help you outfit your home office.
Want to learn more take a look at what people are saying about us on Glassdoor! If that sounds like you, we'd love to hear from you!
Quartzy takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. The pay scale salary/On-Target Earnings (OTE) range for this position represents the low, middle, and high end of the salary or OTE (sales roles) range for this position based on all US locations. To determine starting pay we carefully consider a variety of factors, including primary work location and an evaluation of a candidate’s skills, experience, market demands, and internal parity. Salary/OTE is just one component of our total rewards package. The pay scale or OTE ranges may be modified in the future.
Salary range: USD $200,000 - USD $265,000
All regular exempt full-time employees are also eligible for the corporate bonus program or a sales incentive, (target included in OTE), stock options, and excellent Medical, Dental and Vision coverage with generous premium contributions for both employees and their families, the option of a Health Savings Account with Employer Match, Company paid disability and life insurance with opportunity to add additional coverage for you and your family.
Quartzy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. As part of this policy and legal compliance, Quartzy will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability who is an applicant or an employee unless undue hardship would result. Quartzy will also accommodate a religious belief or practice (including religious dress and grooming practices, such as religious clothing or hairstyles) if the accommodation is reasonable and will not impose an undue hardship.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Quartzy, Inc. will comply with any and all applicable local, city, county, state and federal laws, regulations and orders now in effect or which may hereafter be enacted.