Senior Site Reliability Engineer
San Francisco, CA or Remote /
Engineering – Engineering /
Quartzy is seeking a Senior Site Reliability Engineer to join our fully remote and growing Engineering team! Our mission at Quartzy is to accelerate the pace of scientific discovery. As a member of Quartzy’s Foundation Team, you will engineer solutions that help our Product Team achieve this mission with speed and reliability.
About This Role
Quartzy’s Foundation Team designs, builds, and operates the platform on which our product development teams ship their applications. In this role, you’ll provide technical leadership to all of Engineering by interfacing directly with our product development teams. Your role as a mentor for(and at times, a contributor to) these teams will support timely delivery and reliable operation of our core applications.
Our team builds with HashiCorp Nomad, Consul, Vault and Terraform on top of AWS to create the backbone of our software operations. We ship containers, and have invested heavily in Nix as the glue that pieces all of this together. Monitoring and observability is provided by Datadog, helping us keep things running smoothly. The products our team builds with these tools enable us to continuously deliver software to production, with confidence, dozens of times a day. We facilitate and lean on intelligent monitoring and alerting workflows, and design and build all of these solutions using a code-first approach to infrastructure that we aim to scale with our company.
The ideal person for this role will have prior experience in a SaaS company on a Foundation, Platform, DevOps or similar team.They will have experience as a Senior Site Reliability Engineer, SeniorDevOps Engineer, or other hybrid roles bridging software and operations responsibilities. This person will work very closely with our Lead Cloud Engineer, and are expected to bring the experience necessary to at times work self-directed. This person needs to feel comfortable taking the initiative with external team members to solve problems cross-functionally. Our most successful hires are motivated by our mission to accelerate the Life Sciences industry by building and operating high quality technology to accelerate research & development.
Quartzy is the world’s #1 lab management platform. Every day, hundreds of thousands of scientists from all over the world improve the efficiency of their research by using Quartzy. Our software combines lab resource management and E-Commerce, producing unique value in this large market, returning time to researchers who can focus on their next discoveries. Our customers range from wine makers, to food/ag companies, to companies working on COVID testing and cancer therapeutics. We are humbled every day to serve them.
What You'll Do
- Initiate and support our HashiCorp/AWS infrastructure-as-code using a combination of Nix, Terraform and related tools, providing development, QA, and production environment automation.
- Support infrastructure refactoring initiatives and seek to automate manually performed tasks, drive infrastructure monitoring and cloud based delivery tooling towards meeting Engineering SLAs and key operating metrics.
- Help establish best practices and standards including work breakdown, estimating and assisting with developing delivery schedules.
- Perform root-cause analysis for service interruptions and establish preventive measures.
- Support development of policies and procedures for standard operating procedures around change management, access provisioning, and structured incident handling in support of achieving company level security and compliance programs and frameworks.
- Participate in the on-call support rotation.
- Participate in knowledge sharing opportunities and contribute to the overall growth and collective knowledge of the team.
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology or equivalent industry experience
- 5+ years of experience working on a Platform or Cloud Engineering team in a hands-on role operating a 24x7 AWS based workload, infrastructure, database, and networking
- Experience with TCP/IP VPN and networking concepts, SSH, DNS, SSO and authentication standards, system performance-monitoring tools, load balancing firewalls and HTTP traffic, email routing, Redis, ElasticSearch, queuing technologies, and interacting with REST APIs for application integration and automation.
- Experience managing cloud-based infrastructure-as-code using Terraform or similar.
- Experience deploying containers and workload orchestration tools such as Docker, Nomad, Kubernetes, ECS, EKS, or OpenShift, in a multi-cluster multi-environment setup.
- Experience working with Git, or other version control systems, and automating code delivery pipelines and infrastructure as code supporting frequent production deployments
- Experience managing and SQL performance tuning databases on RDS, MySQL, Postgres or other production scale database platforms.
- Experience working with or under one of more security and compliance certification frameworks.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to explain complex technical concepts to non-technical team members, a self-starter with a bias towards action and taking initiative on your own to advance project work with other team members.
What We Offer
- Great Culture - Participate in our fun events like speaker series, virtual happy hours & company/department off-sites
- Remote Team - We’re 100% distributed so you can live anywhere in the US!
- Transparency - Weekly all company stand ups, monthly town halls, quarterly state of the start ups and anytime access to co-founders
- Generous Time Off - Take the time you need, when you need it
- Internet Stipend - Quartzy provides a monthly stipend for your internet service
- Great Gear - We’ll set you up for success with the latest tech and help you outfit your home office.
Want to learn more take a look at what people are saying about us on Glassdoor! If that sounds like you, we'd love to hear from you!
Quartzy takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. The pay scale salary/On-Target Earnings (OTE) range for this position represents the low, middle, and high end of the salary or OTE (sales roles) range for this position based on all US locations. To determine starting pay we carefully consider a variety of factors, including primary work location and an evaluation of a candidate’s skills, experience, market demands, and internal parity. Salary/OTE is just one component of our total rewards package. The pay scale or OTE ranges may be modified in the future.
Salary range: USD $114,471 - USD $190,785
All regular exempt full-time employees are also eligible for the corporate bonus program or a sales incentive, (target included in OTE), stock options, and excellent Medical, Dental and Vision coverage with generous premium contributions for both employees and their families, the option of a Health Savings Account with Employer Match, Company paid disability and life insurance with opportunity to add additional coverage for you and your family.
Quartzy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. As part of this policy and legal compliance, Quartzy will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability who is an applicant or an employee unless undue hardship would result. Quartzy will also accommodate a religious belief or practice (including religious dress and grooming practices, such as religious clothing or hairstyles) if the accommodation is reasonable and will not impose an undue hardship.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Quartzy, Inc. will comply with any and all applicable local, city, county, state and federal laws, regulations and orders now in effect or which may hereafter be enacted.